The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Need Help With My Harley

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 06:48 AM

Need Help With My Harley

ok so after 2 weeks of waiting i finally get my idle/throttle and brake cable's in so i can finish my mini ape install. i get her all buttoned up and turn the ignition on. all good so far. She turns on, headlight, tach, etc all come on. I continue on...i hit the "RUN" switch.....nothing. no familiar sound of fuel moving, no little engine light on the tach...nothing. I try the right blinker switch...again nothing. Now keep in mind i did not have to extend any of the electrical wires as they were long enough to reach. the left blinker, horn switch, etc all work. Anybody have any ideas? Is there a power or ground wire that runs into the housing that maybe got pinched or ripped? any help or suggestions would be appreciated
Old 03-13-2009, 08:10 AM

If it's not turning over then it sounds like what you said already and there is a problem getting juice to the starter. I would start there.

Good luck
Old 03-13-2009, 10:41 AM

clutch safety

do harleys have a safety , that you need to hold the clutch??? my kaw does , and sometimes i forget.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:41 PM

You have a problem in your right side handlebar wiring. Can you pull that side off and make sure nothings disconnected?
Old 03-13-2009, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Blackedout97
ok so after 2 weeks of waiting i finally get my idle/throttle and brake cable's in so i can finish my mini ape install. i get her all buttoned up and turn the ignition on. all good so far. She turns on, headlight, tach, etc all come on. I continue on...i hit the "RUN" switch.....nothing. no familiar sound of fuel moving, no little engine light on the tach...nothing. I try the right blinker switch...again nothing. Now keep in mind i did not have to extend any of the electrical wires as they were long enough to reach. the left blinker, horn switch, etc all work. Anybody have any ideas? Is there a power or ground wire that runs into the housing that maybe got pinched or ripped? any help or suggestions would be appreciated
Times like this it is a good idea to belong to a good H-D forum. I have found the one below to be the best. Sign up and post your question. Lots of knowledgable folks for any style of bike. Be sure to include year and model info. Can't believe the amount of usable info that is exchanged.

If you'd prefer, give me the model and year info and I'd post the question for you.

http://www.hdforums.com/
Old 03-13-2009, 01:44 PM
Premium Member

Here are 2 more forums you could also try. They are great at answering questions. Hope this helps.

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/modules/Jig/index.php

http://harleytechtalk.net/htt/index.php
Old 03-13-2009, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by InkTheFlesh
You have a problem in your right side handlebar wiring. Can you pull that side off and make sure nothings disconnected?
All the wires look good, that is what i can see of them until they run up under the tank. its looking like im going to have to suck it up and take it all apart again and see whats going on.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:16 PM

multiple problems on the same side.....yup,needs to come back apart(right side only)..possible you pinched some wires maybe shorting them....also recheck the fuses...
Old 03-14-2009, 11:45 AM

Are you sure you didn't pinch any wires when you bolted up the controls to the bars???