The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Ouch

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 04:10 AM

Ouch

What a shame.

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/first-2...234536392.html
Old 12-31-2014, 05:04 AM
Deceased

Could have been worse, he could have been out of warranty, or using it for competition which renders the warranty "Null & Void".
Old 12-31-2014, 06:03 AM

You mean like this?

As reported by the gang over at Corvette Forum, the owner, known to the forum as Lawdogg, was out putting miles on the car to get it properly broken in before a track event scheduled for January 10-11, 2015, at Road Atlanta. Making a pull from 35 mph, the owner says “I shifted short of redline and boom — the car began knocking. I pulled over and popped the hood. I could hear a loud knock coming from the No. 6 cylinder area along with a serious, grinding, metal-on-metal sound coming from the supercharger area.”
Old 12-31-2014, 06:14 AM
Banned

Doesn't mean the even was made for beating the s*** out of the 'Vette. Could be an Auto Cross or something like that.

In any case, it's under warranty, GM is replacing it, and he will have another 1,000 mile break in to do, and NOT try and get on it too hard too early.
Old 01-01-2015, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by LawDog88
Doesn't mean the even was made for beating the s*** out of the 'Vette. Could be an Auto Cross or something like that.

In any case, it's under warranty, GM is replacing it, and he will have another 1,000 mile break in to do, and NOT try and get on it too hard too early.

First let me say that I am not trying to suggest that the owner is responsible for the failure of his motor. It is a sad thing regardless of how it blew. I truly hope that his motor was one of few that will die such an early death.

The Corvette was introduced to the media test drivers at this very Road Atlanta track and is said to be able to get the Vette up to 150mph on the back stretch.

Chevy’s choice of wild, bucking Road Atlanta as a launch venue proved both wise and a bit brave. This fast but highly technical track let the Z06 stretch its legs all the way up to 150-plus mph on the back straight, while also taxing its suspension and grip over crests and curbs.

The owner of this Vette has a video of himself (with a passenger in the car) achieving a 3.1 second zero to sixty time. He also defended himself on the Corvette forum stating that he is a better track driver than most every one on that form. To think he will not and has not been pushing this car already is silly IMHO.

Once his Z06 was broken in, though, Lawdogg began to have fun. Monday, I posted an article of his achieving a 3.1-second 0-60 run with a passenger. The impressive blast to 60 mph was captured on his Performance Data Recorder. I’ve shared the video again below. Click here to read more about that zero-to-60 run from Monday’s article.
He also stated that GM searched for any modification to the computer program before being willing to replace the motor. They know and expect these cars to see track time and be driven hard. It may be that as long as you leave it stock, if it breaks they will take care of you.

Last edited by 07azhhr; 01-01-2015 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-01-2015, 02:11 PM

Actually, Dealerships can and will void the warranty for autocrossing. One of the people that autocrosses with the same group as me works for a VW dealership(thankfully not the one I go to). She warned us that Dealerships are starting to look at autocross rosters for the names of their clients, and to not let her catch our car ('14 GTI) coming into her dealership. Needless to say, the car hasn't been back to the track since.
Old 01-01-2015, 02:28 PM

The owner states that the owners manual states that to wait until 1500 miles are on the car before taking it to the track. GM knows these Z06's may be run on tracks. They are ok with it if the info in the manual is true.

I looked up the event that he wants to get the new engine prepared for and it is a road race type of event. Multiple cars on the track at the same time and even has a dedicated time called quiet time where only cars with mufflers can be on the track. They state that open exhaust race engine equipped cars can't be on the track at that time.

He has 9 days left to get the car back if it is not already back in his hands and to break in the motor and get the car above 1500 miles.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Frenchy42
Actually, Dealerships can and will void the warranty for autocrossing. One of the people that autocrosses with the same group as me works for a VW dealership(thankfully not the one I go to). She warned us that Dealerships are starting to look at autocross rosters for the names of their clients, and to not let her catch our car ('14 GTI) coming into her dealership. Needless to say, the car hasn't been back to the track since.
Wow thats dirty pool, wonder if there is a database out there for hire by ins co., carfax, franchises like carmax etc........as well.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:36 PM
Platinum Member

Frenchy, just my belief, BUT I THINK your dealer "spokesperson" was giving you a BS story. Dealers and their related personnel just do not have time to go through all the related schedules to locate names of their customers. Especially if it is done manually. Downloading digitally to digitally is one thing.....the dealers won't pay for properly trained personnel, do you really think they will pay to do this. Besides, computer reviews are much more efficient and reliable IF they are done properly.

This same myth has been generated by each manufacturer/dealer through the years. It is a tool/method for them to minimize warranty claims, yes, but it is done in a completely different method by just creating fear. And has been found untrue in every instance that I know of....including those people that have sworn on many stacks of bibles it happened to them ( and later found to be a complete fabrication/falsehood).

Last edited by Snoopy; 01-14-2015 at 07:48 PM.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Shame it broke coulda been a lot of things to cause the failure