The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Texting & Driving is now Illegal in Wisconsin

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by sleeper
Should be illegal in ALL states.. even if they are in a VW beetle..
Should be illegal in all the contries! BTW, is true that Montana doesn´t exist speed limit?
Old 12-04-2010, 01:31 AM

Just last week, a 17-ish moron texting_while_driving pullled a right turn on red light in front of my 3/4 ton white 4wd (i.e large and obvious) truck. Looked right at me, then looked back at her cell phone and kept texting, kind of looked like she was drooling on herself too, felt like ramming her, but sensibility prevailed and I stopped in the middle of the intersection and let her go on her way. Grrrrrrrr. What pisses me off most is that I have had to give up motorcycle riding because of these clueless idiots.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:35 PM

Cool ! Now to also ban talking on cell phones while driving !!
Old 12-04-2010, 05:46 PM

They going to ban drinking or eating while driving as well? How about people talking in the car? CDs? Radio's? How about women putting on makeup? Sorry for playing devils advocate but this is a pointless law. First you have to be caught which isnt so easy to see or catch. Secondly, they have to prove that you're texting while driving. More laws never change the additude of the people, but rather makes people Peed Off.

Distractions can be so many things.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:55 PM

After witnessing an idiot walking across the street (while texting) into oncoming traffic, they should outlaw texting while walking. They should also outlaw texting while entering an elevator. How many times do I have to endure people walking into me while I try to exit?
Old 12-04-2010, 11:25 PM

They should outlaw texting completely.

This would force the use of proper grammar.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:39 PM

Its been illegal in Michigan since May 1st, 2010. But the law isn't really clear for us. You can text if your stopped but not while moving. Also if the officer suspects that you have been texting and you really haven't been the officer can/will write you a citatation anyway. It is up to you to bring your phone records to court to show you didn't send/recieve texts in the time you were pulled over. I'm glad this law went into effect but here in Michigan, we need more clairifaction on what the law is exactly. It is too vauge on what is legal and illegal. P.S., I have been cut off by countless people on their phones. Too bad no cops have been around to see it. !!!!!!!!!!

Dave
Old 12-15-2010, 12:51 AM

Its been made illegal here in nebraska to. Only thing, now think about it, shouldn't both texting and tlaking on cell phone be be illegal while driveing.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:10 AM

Driving while texting is dangerous!
You can not imagine the grammatical carnage that occurs when someone is distracted while attempting to bang out a "I'll be hope soon..." or a "Whtzup, Homey?". This should be stopped!!!!

Seriously, it is dangerous. Here's the result of just one incident, that I am personally aware of. This is in monetary terms, but you should also remember the physical and emotional damage that happens as a result of something that is totally unnecessary...

(All this was paid by inssurance coverage, fortunately)
$11,000 to fix our Explorer
$ 8,000 to fix the other guy's truck
$10,000 to setle his injury claim
----------
$29,000 Total

Kinda stupid, don't you think?

Being in insurance claims, I am aware that accidents being caused by this kind of inattention was becomming epidemic. Let's hope the prospect of a big fine will help curb this.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:34 PM
Deceased

I've had a cell phone since 1986, yes one of those huge brick like things, and I have never made or taken a call while in motion. There are too many things to pay attention to in a moving vehicle without the added distraction of a toy, and that's what phones, Blackberry's, PDA's, or any other device is....just a toy....If you're gonna drive...then drive ...if you're gonna play...then play....don't try to combine the two for cripes sake!!

Quick Reply: Texting & Driving is now Illegal in Wisconsin