The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.
View Poll Results: Should Toyota be in NASCAR?
Yes
39.86%
No
60.14%
Voters: 281. You may not vote on this poll

Toyota in NASCAR

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 10:28 PM

By introducing new makers, I think it'll help NASCAR strive, maybe help getting out of it's "Good 'ole boy" perception many have of it. Let's keep in mind who's going to be the largest auto maker on the planet, very, very soon...

Toyotas, unleaded, NASCAR's aging pretty well, IMO. I just hope they don't alienate their fans by making these changes.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:49 PM

Ah, F**k Toyota. Even if they are, WHO CARES? It's TOYOTA!
Old 06-07-2006, 10:54 PM

Toyotas are built well . They were not nearly as good , nor were the Hondas in the early 1970's when they really began coming to the US in numbers. My cousin drives them exclusively and they serve him. I can understand why folks like them, but I find them overpriced. Heck I asked the local Toyo dealer about a Prius and they want three grand over list! :twothumbs
I asked why, they said just because they could as demand is so high! I refuse to drink that cool-aid!
So I went to the dealer across the street and bought a Pontiac Vibe! Oh, it is really a Toyo? Well, we got rid of it and now have Mugsy here!

I do want to buy American. It can be hard though. My GMC Safari had Mexico paperwork, as did my Plymouth Voyager, as does the HHR. I guess they are really American because this is North America!

My token Ford ( everyone should try one ) had a Yamaha engine it. My dad's Impala was Canadian. I think My Buick Rainier was built in the US, but I don't know. I Do know my Corvairs were built at Willow Run!

As far as Nascar, to get back on topic, I stopped caring years ago. It is all corporate big bucks and big mouths these days. No cars resembling anything we could get are raced. It is definitely good fantasy fun, but as another poster pointed out, we have Lemans for Stock cars gone mad, not like Nascar which is the SHELL of a Stock car!
Each to their own.
Old 06-10-2006, 10:08 PM

I think you guys are stretching it a bit with that made in USA rambling. Probably watching NASCAR on SONY tv set!! Don`t think for a moment that the HHR is made exclusively in USA. Welcome back to EARTH. If a Toyota or Nissan enters and wins , that will only make the compotition work harder, and yes get rid of all restricter plates and race.
Old 06-10-2006, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Black Beauty
I think you guys are stretching it a bit with that made in USA rambling. Probably watching NASCAR on SONY tv set!! Don`t think for a moment that the HHR is made exclusively in USA. Welcome back to EARTH. If a Toyota or Nissan enters and wins , that will only make the compotition work harder, and yes get rid of all restricter plates and race.
Yes, Get rid of the restrictor Plates, No, Don't let Toyota OR Nissan in. No one said anything about the HHR in NASCAR. Neither of those 2 companies have anything to do w/ NASCAR's History. I realize that today's racers are a LOOOOOOONG Shot from the old '49 Fords of Junior Johnson's 'Shine Days, But Hell! The name is close enough!
Old 06-18-2006, 02:40 PM

I think it's ok that Toyota is going to be racing alongside the American makes. When you go to a race you'll see thousands of import make cars in the parking lots. Toyota coming in is just a reflection of what a bigger and bigger portion of the fans are driving. Dont forget, Toyota has several assembly plants here in the US, so does that make them any more or less imports. Bring 'em on let Ford, Chevy, and Dodge fight it out on the race track just like they do at the dealerships.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:23 PM

Because there is nothing "stock" about the cars, let 'em in. The Car of Tomorrow is going to make NASCAR just like IRL - there will be no notable difference between the cars....

So let's get a NASCAR Seniors league - the 50 and over guys, running true "stock" cars - no body modifications. How about Wallace, Gant, Waltrip, Terry Labonte, Bill Elliott, etc.... 100 mile features - no pit stops.

They could run on the tracks the same weekend as the all those regular lemmings.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:34 AM

Bottom line....
NASCAR is a business, and if your last name was "France" you'd be all over this money making opportunity as well.

When this was first talked about a few years ago, I felt the same way many of you do. But then I thought about about a few things. 1.) The number of "American Made" cars that are actually made over seas. 2.) The number of cars "Made in America" that use foreign parts. 3.) The awesome competition this could create.

Maybe the big 3 will finally take note of what the the public wants as far as aftermarket products. Honda, Toyota, and Nissan have the big 3 whooped big time as far as aftermarket products available.

Also, it's nothing to see a Toyota, Honda, or Nissan with 250k- 300k miles on it and still reliable at that. I don't know about you, but I don't see any gas powered vehicle from the big-3 with that many miles and still reliable? Not to say they don't exist, but they're hard to come by.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:04 AM

I have to be negative here

It seems to be one more step to oblivion in my opinion. Ford, GM and Chrysler are all in trouble. Why? partly because they got lazy for a while, and stopped listening to consumers, but also because the governments in the US (and where I live in Canada) have made huge incentives and concessions for the Japanese auto makers to set up shop here.... no unions, no taxes, get the raw materials cheap, get the labor cheap and stuff more into a car for (supposedly) less.... Then we are left wondering why the "big three" can't respond. When the playing field is not equal, the results can not be either!

I do not argue that imports might be better made as a rule (in certain market segments). No wonder - they can afford to put more trinkets in their cars for about the same money because of the reduced overheads. I DO however argue that they shouldn't be given such a welcome and hasten what appears, at least to me, a collapse of yet another north american tradition. More attention should I think be given overall to keeping the companies afloat, productive and profitable that have been made and started here. The asian market has gotten way too many concessions and advantages thrown at them and it will hurt North America in the long run. Look at Walmart. Proudly boasting made in America products for years, where is that slogan and credo now? They have ruined MANY small (and larger) businesses as well by offering cheaper (and inferior) imported products along the way. They (the asians) must be laughing at our stupidity! In Canada we have even gone so far as to give eastern immigrants 5 years without taxes, AND free health care, just to get established. Makes competing in the market place (and the hospital) a real challenge! At least the way I see it...

Last edited by Inspector; 10-01-2006 at 09:56 PM.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:12 PM
Platinum Member

Wow, THANKS for that, Inspector.

Quick Reply: Toyota in NASCAR