The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.
View Poll Results: Should Toyota be in NASCAR?
Yes
39.86%
No
60.14%
Voters: 281. You may not vote on this poll

Toyota in NASCAR

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 10:46 AM

I personally dont like the ideal of toyota coming into nascsar. I dont think that they will dominate, but i do believe trd will dump huge amounts of money into the developement, and maybe force the big three to have more involvment with there teams or they will lose lots of face. I would say with all the goofy rules and stupid things going on in nascar i will probably just total stop watching all together. It just isnt racing like i rember when i was a little bit younger( say 80ishs). Soon more foreign based manufactures will be coming onto the seen and then it will not be long we'll have a step below indy or something totally different than what is now. Oh well guess its all about the money. john
Old 10-03-2006, 11:09 AM

I don't mind the different cars, the thing I find that is VERY BAD is giving the driving job and other tech jobs to people from different countries and with names that I can't pronounce. Thats the IRL and CHAMP is no longer viable racing league. Its just going to make the small tracks (home boys) more popular.

See ya down the road.

Bud / Harvey
Old 10-03-2006, 12:31 PM

isnt more toyotas made in the us than overseas now?
Old 10-04-2006, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by DJNateGnau
Who here is a NASCAR fan? If you are, How do you feel about NASCAR letting Toyota race in a TRULY AMERICAN LEAGUE? I for one don't like it, Because Toyota has NO history in the beginnings of the race. Never saw a Toyota Bootleggin', Did ya? Nope. Dave Despain said it best. "Racing in America, Is like Bush's Foreign policy. We'll do as we damn well please, And we Don't care what the rest of the world thinks of it." Don't get me wrong, I love OPEN WHEEL RACING. That is where Toyota belongs. But let us keep NASCAR.

PS: I know Toyota has been in Craftsman Truck Racing. Don't mean I like it. Don't bother questioning my logic, You won't change my mind.

So Tell me what you think. I'm interested.

Yes ! Why not isn't this U.S. of America. Doesn't every one have the chance to win no matter what the sport is.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by simca1955
I personally dont like the ideal of toyota coming into nascsar. I dont think that they will dominate, but i do believe trd will dump huge amounts of money into the developement,
Toyota spends the most amount of money of any of the Formula 1 teams. They have gotten very little out of their investment to date. They are proof positive that money does not buy success.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:43 PM

Let it go back to the old days where, you win on Sunday, sell on Monday. And it's the car that won on Sunday. Not something with a universal body and who knows what is actually underneath.

Lets see how many FWD's are still made after that.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:37 PM

NASCAR is a business and they of course want to attract as many fans as possible. They don't care if the fan is die hard old schooler or a rice burner lovin newbie, as long as they buy the tickets and the hats, die cast cars, etc, etc. With the TV ratings higher than ever and all of the races sold out i doubt you will see much of a change.
To me the stupidiest thing they ever did was to not make the defending champion automatically qualified for the chase. It makes no sense that the current champ is not defending the title in the last 10 races.
Restrictor plates suck too.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:16 PM

Where is "Don't Care?"
Old 10-04-2006, 05:17 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by AMHobby
NASCAR is a business and they of course want to attract as many fans as possible. They don't care if the fan is die hard old schooler or a rice burner lovin newbie, as long as they buy the tickets and the hats, die cast cars, etc, etc. With the TV ratings higher than ever and all of the races sold out i doubt you will see much of a change.
To me the stupidiest thing they ever did was to not make the defending champion automatically qualified for the chase. It makes no sense that the current champ is not defending the title in the last 10 races.
Restrictor plates suck too.
Am Hobby...

I am VERY PRO AMERICAN and I agree with almost everything you stated.

Sponsorship is a major portion of NASCAR. Wonder what kind of money will be visable if/when others are allowed to join.

Your statement regarding the defending champ is interesting. So you're saying that the racing should be conducted much like pro sports....you gradually earn your position by what you have done thru previous sanctioned events....I like that.

Resistrictor plates....hmmm. If they remove them, are the current tracks able to accomodate the speeds these vehicles can ultimately acheive?? Not disagreeing...just wondering. The straightaway speeds of 180+ mph seem more than what the tracks can contain now. Maybe I'm wrong.

Maybe will ask "Stubby" after he gets back from Talladaga
Old 10-05-2006, 12:23 AM

If they went back to using the stock bodies (at least the sheet metal)similar to what they had in the 80's and limited the spoilers they wouldn't need the restrictor plates. The body shape would lower speeds and make the engine and chassis builder more important. The new common body is a joke. It is going to become more of a show than a race. As far as defending the title, it just seems stupid that a spot isn't reserved for the current Nextel champ to defend the title all the way to the final race of the season. The "Lucky Dog" drives me nuts to. If you lose a lap you should stay down a lap unless you can drive back onto the lead lap.

Quick Reply: Toyota in NASCAR