Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

2007 Chevy HHR LT - Windshield Leak?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2020, 04:24 AM

I doubt the previous owner installed a butyl patch. They tore that car up!🙄😤

The eyeroll is for the previous owner. Wanted to make that clear. 😊
Old 08-01-2020, 05:39 AM
Platinum Member

Ronnie
What ever happened with the broken steering knuckle ? Never saw you do a follow up on that.
Old 08-01-2020, 10:38 AM

Water from the sun roof ?
Go after that known leak first.
Yes that butyl patch looks like junk also.
I know everybody and their brother believes in silicone, but you should have use this 3M product to "reseal" the windshield.
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...3242009&rt=rud
Old 08-01-2020, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Ronnie
What ever happened with the broken steering knuckle ? Never saw you do a follow up on that.
I had to buy a new one. My boyfriend installed it along with new lower control arms. I needed to replace the lower control arms when I bought it.

I was still have suspension issues. So I ordered tie rod ends, struts, strut mounts, strut bellows, stabilizer bars and bushings. I loaded everything on the HHR and headed to his place about 100 miles away. First thing he noticed was I had a broken CV axle. He looked at me and said "How in the hell did you even make it here?" I just looked at him and shrugged my shoulders. I had no clue. So I had to run to O'Reillys and get the only one they had. 😩

I had bought all those parts because I knew the car had been driven hard. And I also didn't want him to have to take my car apart over and over again trying to figure out what was wrong.

After everything was put back together...I was still having issues with my steering wheel vibrating when I used my brakes. I ordered some high performance rotors. He just replaced the rotors the night before last. New rotors helped tremendously.

I really like the look of the rotors. I want to get shiny chrome wheels to match the rest of the chrome I changed over.

I still get a little vibration in the wheel when I am idling at a complete stop. So that needs to be looked into now.

it's slowly coming together. It has tons of scratches, dents and the clear coat is peeling. I bought a tool to try to pull the dents myself.

Old 08-01-2020, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Cat Man HHR
Water from the sun roof ?
Go after that known leak first.
Yes that butyl patch looks like junk also.
I know everybody and their brother believes in silicone, but you should have use this 3M product to "reseal" the windshield.
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...3242009&rt=rud
I need to stop at Wal-Mart on my way down to the BF's house. I know they have a lot of 3M products in the automotive section.

The drain tube is going to be challenging...I can tell that right now. 😬😩
Old 08-01-2020, 12:52 PM
Administrator

Replacement patch part number

https://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts/g...-25785783.html

tracking down water leaks

https://bzerob.com/library/assets-li...ter%20Leak.pdf
Old 08-01-2020, 05:12 PM

Adjusting the rear brakes manually and regularly will do wonders to prevent the fronts from warping.
Old 08-06-2020, 07:04 PM

I was attempting to work on my water leak today. I was pretty confident I had cleaned out the front lines with compressed air previously. Well the passenger side front drain line is clogged. I used weed eater line down the tube to see if I could unclog the line. It only goes so far then I can't push it through any further. Any suggestions?
Old 08-06-2020, 09:27 PM

Great...scattered thunderstorms tonight.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:38 PM
Platinum Member

FYI. The drain tubes make a 90 degree turn at the door pillars. Your weed eater line may not be able to make that tight turn.

Quick Reply: 2007 Chevy HHR LT - Windshield Leak?