Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

30000 mile 2 year 489.00 ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 03:37 PM
Banned

oil and filter $20 tops
window washer solvent $4 tops
add fuel system treatment Not necessary nor recommended by GM
lubricate chassis, door locks hinges No chassis lube points, locks and hinges are lubed for life
replace anticorrosive pads on battery Not necessary unless battery is replaced
replace air filter and fuel filter, adjust CO level Air filter not needed until 50k, fuel filter is maintenance free, have no idea what "CO level" is
adjust idle speed & timing, adjust drive belts Not necessary
analyze engine, rotate and balance tire, adjust tire pressure WTF is "analyze engine", rotation/balance shouldn't be more than $10
inspect brakes, service rear brakes Not necessary unless squealing/scraping
transmission flush service, check cooling system for leaks Not necessary until 50k for hard driving, otherwise transmission fluid is good for the life of vehicle
flush power steering system, fuel injection flush service No power steering pump, injector service not necessary nor recommended by GM
flush cooling system at 60,000 Not necessary until 150k
replace differential fluid See transmission service comment
plus vehicle maint inspection:
check all vital operating fluids and top off Only need to check coolant level
inspect exhaust, steering and suspension & undercarriage 60 seconds, tops

Run, don't walk, away from this place FAST.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:44 PM

hmm, ok i'll call them now. thank you all.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:33 AM

well of course, by the time i called them they had already completed the work. my fault. i had a gut feeling when he handed me the flyer that something was wrong, but that's what i get for being in a hurry, not taking the time to think ahead of time what to expect and do some research, and most of all check with you folks. yep i paid them 500 bucks for an 'oil change'. lesson learned. i'm reading through my owners manual now, dammit! i'm an idiot. oh well. thanks to all of you for yelling at me :) i needed the wake up call. i am ususally quite diligent about doing my research. as a father of 16 month old twins, i get pressed for time once in a while, no excuse i know. but thanks again, i'll be back.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:46 AM
Banned

Only takes one little burn to keep from touching that hot stove again. Sorry you had to lose that much money over nothing.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:45 AM

How do you flush the power steering,it is electric.Also ithought the tranny,should go longer without a flush,iam not sure of these two services.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:05 AM

I'm the type of person that is totally paranoid about the warranty. I won't even add wiper fluid while the car's under warranty. When it's coming up time for a service, I call around to 2 or 3 chevy dealers to get an 'average' charge for whatever's needed. Back when I had a Metro, one dealer wanted 385.00 for a service, and the one that DID it charged me about 60.00
Lesson learned.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by piggiepigg
thank you for the replies. this appears to be all 'doing' stuff. here's the run down:
oil and filter $30,if synthetic.
window washer solvent $1.50,Walmart
add fuel system treatment Worthless unless you`ve been running swampwater thru your tank.

lubricate chassis, door locks hinges $5
replace anticorrosive pads on battery $0 look at yours,is it worn out?
replace air filter and fuel filter, $25 Fram adjust CO level
adjust idle speed & timing, $0,computer does all this
adjust drive belts $0,engine has a tensioner
analyze engine, $20 to have a tech with a scope plug it in and look for codes. Let your cars computer analyze for free rotate and balance tire, $70,lifetime rotation at Sears
adjust tire pressure $0,see above at Sears
inspect brakes, $0,they`ll start to squeek when they begin to wear out service rear brakes $40,have it done at Sears when they do your tires
transmission flush service, $75,can be done at any competent shop check cooling system for leaks $0,look at your driveway for spots and check your radiator if it`s cool. Of course your doing this anyway every couple of weeks yourself,right?
flush power steering system, $0,check the level,unless it`s down leave it alone. fuel injection flush service $0,at 30k miles? See above swampwater comment
flush cooling system at 60,000 $40,get this done every 12-18 mths.
replace differential fluid $0,this is part of the trans on a fwd car
plus vehicle maint inspection:
check all vital operating fluids and top off
inspect exhaust, steering and suspension & undercarriage $0,any competent owner is doing this when they wash the car,etc.

489.95 plus tax $306.50,and thats IF you do everything which you shouldn`t have to at this time.

that is a lot of stuff now that i've typed it all out.
i guess you've kinda answered my question already. maintanence and warranty are not the same thing. i bought this car used last year and had a safety inspection done on it. i've watched it closely as i do all my stuff, and the car hasn't made a peep. drives perfectly, (knock knock on wood that is). so since i am nearing the end of my 36,000 mile warranty, i am starting to feel a bit better about dropping the cash on this visit. just wasn't expecting to pay anything is all. and 500 bucks would be more fun to spend on my hot rod, sigh... oh well. some of these things are stupid like change the anticorrosive pads? come on, but others like power steering flush and tranny flush, those make me perk up a bit. i guess i just wanted to make sure i was supposed to be paying for this stuff or not.
Are they going to buy you dinner and give you a back rub first?
Old 01-20-2008, 10:46 AM

yea they gave me a rub on my backside alrighty...
Old 01-20-2008, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by piggiepigg
yea they gave me a rub on my backside alrighty...
Did you pay extra for the lube?
Old 01-20-2008, 10:58 AM

LOL, oh no, i'm special, the lube was free, hahahaha... i guess i needed a good laugh thanks

Quick Reply: 30000 mile 2 year 489.00 ?