Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

30000 mile 2 year 489.00 ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 01:23 PM

It night be an exercise in uselessness but I wonder if you went back to see them and in a calm and rational manner or in writing explained that you felt like you where charged for work that was not done (fraud) or just overcharged (buyer beware) and if they wanted your repeat business to consider a partial refund, what do you have to lose. Maybe included these posts and mention the bad PR etc. Also you could contact BBB or legal aid?
Old 01-20-2008, 01:32 PM
Platinum Member

I agree with Old Ray.....

I'll bet if you did it correctly, you could get them to admit (and it might already be in writing on your PAID invoice) to doing work that could NOT have possibly been done on your HHR......for example, the power steering flush.

Additionally, I would check the items that were allegedly replaced, like the filters. Several State Attorney Generals have discovered that SOME of these shops that perform this type of work, don't do ALL the work stated.

It's worth a try. But then again, it could be a lesson learned and a new shop for the NEXT PM work.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:50 PM

PP, you got taken for a ride.

I suggest you take Old Ray's advice and go back and see them.
As Snoopy said, check your invoice to see what that said they did and compare it to the notes posted here about things they wanted to do that just aren't possible.

It's really tough to change the fuel filter on an HHR, considering it's built into the fuel pump and can only be changed if you get change the entire fuel pump.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:26 PM

I dont think you specified yet, but Im betting this isnt a GM dealer. Some of those sevices done go way beyond the usual "gravy" work (ie. recommended but not required) and are dishonest.
Customer reputation is important for repeat business. I would go back to them with what you have learned and see if they can make it right. If not, tell everyone local you know not to do business with that shop. Some would also file with BBB, but that can turn into more effort than its worth.

EDIT: is it really that hard to change the fuel filter? Damn, I usually do it myself, but that sounds more than I can handle.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by prod
is it really that hard to change the fuel filter? Damn, I usually do it myself, but that sounds more than I can handle.
I think it is in the gas tank on the electric fuel pump and I couldn’t find anything about it in the owners manual (but I do have the “male” blindness condition).
Old 01-20-2008, 03:56 PM

OMG PP
I guess I am very lucky I will have had mine for 2 yrs next month, The only thing I had to pay for was the Brakes & Rotors after they replaced them 3 times under warranty and then I just purchased new 80,000 mile warranty tires. My HHr has just under 70,000 miles on it as of today.

Rudy
Old 01-20-2008, 11:44 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Old Ray
I think it is in the gas tank on the electric fuel pump and I couldn’t find anything about it in the owners manual (but I do have the “male” blindness condition).
I believe you're correct about this Old Ray.

ChevyMgr can probably confirm, but I think the gas tank needs to be purged , then dropped for access to the fuel pump, which is mounted to the top of the tank. Once removed the filter is essentially a permanent part of the pump......all would need replacing.....which, as mentioned, is very costly.

I'm out of line here, but I don't believe a GM dealer would perform this kind of work.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:29 AM

thanks for the responses, this was indeed a chevrolet dealership. freeway chevrolet in chandler arizona. i've been treated very well by them every visit, so this still kind of shocks me. i'm working on scanning in the flyer i was given, and also the workup sheet printed out with my bill which includes part numbers so you guys can view which parts were installed, what labor costs were and so on. it says air and fuel filter were replaced but i doubt it on the fuel filter, like you have said, that sounds like a tank dropper to even get at it, and i know they didn't drop the tank. it just sounds like i was offered a generic service for people who know nothing about cars, which i know a lot about cars, just was like i said, in a hurry and a little too trusting to stop and think that this wasn't an HHR specific service plan. stand by i'll scan those items in. i'm going to follow up with a manager today about this...
Old 01-21-2008, 01:19 PM

here is the trail of shame...
the first image contains the postcard i received in the mail reminding me it was time for the next maintenance, and second was the infamous flyer with package of services they suggested for my car at 30000 miles. the next image is the bill including part numbers. some of these i've figured out on my own, the aircleaner filter part number for example appears in our owners manuals, the others i'm still trying to figure out. here you go:

Old 01-21-2008, 01:31 PM
Platinum Member

The 3 top parts items....

Air filter, oil filter, "gasket" or new oil pan bolt (most dealers will do this to prevent dripping oil leaks/headaches).

Man, all I can say is...SORRY.

But, how can they flush the power steering...it's electric (although no parts are shown below). And how can they replace the fuel filter.

Anyway it's over. And you probably learned something.

Quick Reply: 30000 mile 2 year 489.00 ?