Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Maintenance Costs at 140k Miles

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2021, 01:46 PM

Maintenance Costs at 140k Miles

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a used HHR that has about 140,000. It's been a while since I purchased a used car and I'm just wondering how much this thing is going to cost me after I purchase it.

The post on Craigslist said it just got a new clutch, and other than that runs "perfect." No other info on parts.

So how much am I going to be looking to spend per year on this thing if I buy it? I love it and it fits all my checkboxes, but I don't want to end up buying a car whose maintenance ends up costing more than leasing a new car would.

Thanks.

Best,
Chris
Old 06-10-2021, 01:56 PM
Administrator

Welcome, it’s going to cost you a bit of time to inspect and maybe if it’s been maintained properly that’ll be that, but it might need some brake work, some suspension parts and possibly a timing chain kit.
depending on you mechanical skills, you might just need a few parts .
As always, it’s a gamble!
Old 06-10-2021, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Welcome, it’s going to cost you a bit of time to inspect and maybe if it’s been maintained properly that’ll be that, but it might need some brake work, some suspension parts and possibly a timing chain kit.
depending on you mechanical skills, you might just need a few parts .
As always, it’s a gamble!

Thank you. Yes, I assumed it would be a gamble, but I was just looking for some possible definite estimations. Going into the used car territory for the first time in a while, I'm not sure what to expect. Or rather, the last time I bought a used car, the guy never told me about the transmission, which started slipping on the way home, even though it was fine during the test drive. Oh well.

How much do you think it would be if I needed to buy "brake work," some suspension parts, and a timing chain kit? I'm hoping I don't have to spend a couple grand on repairs right after I purchase the car itself.
Old 06-11-2021, 06:36 AM
Administrator

Timing and balance shaft chain, about $200
Brake rotors, pads , $150
LCA bushings, $50
Struts and shocks $300

Now these are approximate numbers, we do get a discount from RockAuto, however your area parts palaces have different price points.

I have had long life out of KYB struts and shocks, PowerStop brake components, Moog suspension bushings.

It all depends on who’s spinning the wrenches, you or a shop, possibly not schooled in the HHR Ecotec education!

For instance, you have a slight vibration, some throw rotors and pads up front!
the vibration persists,
they replace the LCA’s and the vibration, still there
turns out it was the rear drum brakes needed a good cleaning and adjustment, or the upper engine mount replaced.

just know before you order parts , you can check with us, we’ll steer you straight!
Old 06-11-2021, 08:38 AM
Platinum Member

Guess I'm confused.
You're considering a 10-15 year old "used" car with a bunch of miles on it, and you're asking about upkeep costs ? Look for something newer and with fewer miles( and maybe a factory warranty) if you don't want to deal with an older car and normal maintenance.

And shopping on Craigslist is always a big gamble.
Old 06-11-2021, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Timing and balance shaft chain, about $200
Brake rotors, pads , $150
LCA bushings, $50
Struts and shocks $300

Now these are approximate numbers, we do get a discount from RockAuto, however your area parts palaces have different price points.

I have had long life out of KYB struts and shocks, PowerStop brake components, Moog suspension bushings.

It all depends on who’s spinning the wrenches, you or a shop, possibly not schooled in the HHR Ecotec education!

For instance, you have a slight vibration, some throw rotors and pads up front!
the vibration persists,
they replace the LCA’s and the vibration, still there
turns out it was the rear drum brakes needed a good cleaning and adjustment, or the upper engine mount replaced.

just know before you order parts , you can check with us, we’ll steer you straight!
Thank you, I'll keep you in mind.

Cheers.
Old 06-11-2021, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Guess I'm confused.
You're considering a 10-15 year old "used" car with a bunch of miles on it, and you're asking about upkeep costs ? Look for something newer and with fewer miles( and maybe a factory warranty) if you don't want to deal with an older car and normal maintenance.

And shopping on Craigslist is always a big gamble.
Thank you.

If not on Craigslist, where should I look?
Old 06-11-2021, 09:40 AM
Administrator

Our Marketplace.