Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

OEM oil on 2011

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 06:10 PM

Unless you know more about vehicles than the accumulated knowledge at General Motors, follow the instructions in the Owner's Manual.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:43 PM

Living here in Detroit and know some design eng and then seeing how some dim wit designed how you got to change a head light in these things not to mention the pita air filter . other than the basics oil NOT being one a them I don't put a lot a stock in the owners maual . A lot a time its writen half arsed IMHO bessides $30.00 or so to change the oil every 3000 miles is cheap insurance I will never trust the DIC aka idiot light aka digital dummy read out but of course YMMV

I did use Mobil 1 5w 30 Would a bought the Quaker State but the jug didn't have the GM tested logo Thou I hear its only because they have not got all the new labels out yet .
Old 05-16-2011, 01:04 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by pipes
Living here in Detroit and know some design eng and then seeing how some dim wit designed how you got to change a head light in these things not to mention the pita air filter . other than the basics oil NOT being one a them I don't put a lot a stock in the owners maual . A lot a time its writen half arsed IMHO bessides $30.00 or so to change the oil every 3000 miles is cheap insurance I will never trust the DIC aka idiot light aka digital dummy read out but of course YMMV

I did use Mobil 1 5w 30 Would a bought the Quaker State but the jug didn't have the GM tested logo Thou I hear its only because they have not got all the new labels out yet .
Still too hard to read.

Last edited by whopper; 05-16-2011 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Misspelled too - LOL
Old 05-16-2011, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by whopper
Still to hard to read.
AH so it only took a few posts to find the grammar police: Simple add me to your ignore list instead of leaving your snide comments ! all forums have the grammar cops nbd ! so move on and ignore my posts unless of course you are just a troll or just like to poke fun at folks who are not as smart as you or as educated

Iam a decent guy that don't type well or spell and things like you genius types I do my best .

And unless you have somthing positive to say about a HHR keep your thoughts to yourself please and again use your IGNORE button .quit simple

Thou I am sorry your have troubble reading . :O)

BETTER YET I added you to my ignore list to stop the crapola befor it goes any further . Now isn't that better I can't and won't see your posts about my abiltys to spell and and what have you . life is simple and to short to deal with unpleasant folks .
Old 05-16-2011, 07:14 AM

AH so it only took a few posts to find the grammar police: Simple add me to your ignore list instead of leaving your snide comments ! all forums have the grammar cops nbd ! so move on and ignore my posts unless of course you are just a troll or just like to poke fun at folks who are not as smart as you or as educated

Iam a decent guy that don't type well or spell and things like you genius types I do my best .

And unless you have somthing positive to say about a HHR keep your thoughts to yourself please and again use your IGNORE button .quit simple

BETTER YET I added you to my ignore list to stop the crapola befor it goes any further . Now isn't that better I can't and won't see your posts about my abiltys to spell and and what have you . life is simple and to short to deal with unpleasant folks .
Seriously?
Old 05-16-2011, 11:42 AM
Platinum Member

Do as you wish. It will save me time as I usually read every post here and try to help out by posting relevant links to peoples questions.

Written communication here can be difficult and can lead to misunderstandings if the writer messes up on grammer or spelling (and I am no expert on that at all, and don't profess to be). But when one is dealing with technical issues here, it is important to be as clear as possible to avoid bad advice - ie: the writer means one thing, and the responder reads it as meaning something totally different.

If I may offer one bit of advice - try using a wordprocessor to draft your posts and use it to check spelling and grammer - it's something I do at times and it definitely does help (but I am not using it here for this post).

So if it makes you feel better, I can just ignore your posts as well - not a big deal to me.

If anyone finds this too hard to read, by all means, please let me know, and I'll try and do better.

Peace
Old 05-16-2011, 12:08 PM

I won't go by the DIC for oil life either. I just changed mine at 5k and it read 60% life still. You think I'm going to go over 10 on my oil? Not a chance. The contaminants and acids build up no matter what filter or oil you use and I want my vehicle to last way past the 100k powertrain warranty. I did put in synthetic so maybe I'll go 6k next time (it had synthetic blend in it from the oil change that the dealer did before I bought it I believe).
Old 05-16-2011, 01:17 PM
Platinum Member

I agree with Whooper and Solman.

Everyone makes LITTLE mistakes...whether spelling, punctuation, etc. BUT...

Anyone who criticizes the design engineers and the Owners Manual as being "written by dimwits" THEN writes posts in a manner that is difficult to read and not knowing what a spell checker and punctuation is, is subject to some criticism.

All we're asking you to do is clean it up a little and make it coherent so we can understand and better help (there is a spell checker available). For example......

From your original post, your only question (as I see it) is, "does anyone else change oil at 1000 miles". But you continued on with unrelated topic and matter. I had to read (with difficulty) your post 3 times to understand what you were getting at. Since it was answered by posters previous to me, I added the note regarding the Fram filter (you appeared to be concerned about your vehicle and I THOUGHT perhaps you would like to know).

Oh and by the way, if you do a search on, "Oil Changes" you will find MANY threads, with many posts on the subject......many with a large amount of redundancy.

I also suggest, you search for the information on the OLI (you already stated you do not read the OM). By your post, it appears you have no idea how it works. It functions as more than a mileage gage. Maybe you will learn something and change your opinion.

You may now add me to your ignore list, if you wish.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:05 PM

Living here in Detroit and know some design eng and then seeing how some dim wit designed how you got to change a head light in these thing
Why do so many people complain about the way a headlight needs to be changed?

If you just look at the car, and the design of the fender with the headlight in the fender. It's pretty obvious that what they did makes the most sense.

Geeze... if you want a unique look you have to work with the shape.

You might need to change a headlight every 8 years anyway, get over it.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:56 PM

Do you really think GM would set themselves up for failure with the DIC? Especially with a 100k eng warrenty? Motors and oil have come a loooooong way....My 4 year old mower still runs clean on the oil..yes alot has changed. School up or sit in the back.

Quick Reply: OEM oil on 2011