Mid Central NE, KS, IA, MO, IL

Freeway Speed Cameras AKA IL B.S.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 05:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by twistrman
i grew up in Michigan, and the laws may be different but i swear i was told this in drivers training:

That the posted speed limit is for ideal driving conditions. If the speed limit is 55 and everyone else is driving 75, if you are driving the speed limit you are in danger to yourself and others and can actually get pulled over.

Same idea if you are in the expressway doing 70 in like a pouring rain storm or in icy conditions that you can get pulled over, even if it is the speed limit, once again because you are endangering others.

Could just be BS that I was told, but it makes sense to me.
It's usually a matter of policy that varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Speed limits are lawful LIMITS for ideal driving conditions. In MI and other states, they WILL pull you over for impeding traffic. They will also pull you over for speeding, aggressive, and imprudent driving, just like everyone else.

In MO, it's against the law to drive in the left lane of a four-lane divided highway outside of major cities unless you are passing someone. I've had plenty of clients pulled over for doing this and resulting in discovery of more serious crimes.

My point is, traffic laws vary from state to state, but construction zone laws DO NOT. Speeding and accidents resulting in construction zones will double or triple your fines, points, and insurance payments. You could kill a worker or yourself by running into equipment left in the road. Someone ahead of you could get tangled on a piece of equipment or dug up roadway and you would have no time to stop. It just isn't worth it.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:22 PM

Can they really give you a ticket for 1 mph over the limit? My cop friends ( lol, I have soo many) say there has to be a buffer of 2-3 mph because the speedo could be off from the factory. They won't even bother you here for less than 5 mph because it is not worth their time, but dont get caught hitting 6mph or more over.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by saltyfishguy
Can they really give you a ticket for 1 mph over the limit? My cop friends ( lol, I have soo many) say there has to be a buffer of 2-3 mph because the speedo could be off from the factory. They won't even bother you here for less than 5 mph because it is not worth their time, but dont get caught hitting 6mph or more over.
Not sure, Im sure there will be Cops in this State who will try it. I agree with reducing the speeding in Construction Zone's. I have a problem with it being inforced when there isn't any Construction going on, like on a Sunday or Holiday's.