Mods - Engine/Exhaust EngineCompartment/Exhaust Discussions. (Non-Performace)

Resonator delete

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 09:01 AM

No popping, no sputtering, no crackling. It's funny everyone has chimed in but no one really knows...but guess what...I do...lol.

Honestly, I'm super funny about how my ride sounds. When I first got my resonator deleted the extra sound was small and could really only be heard on heavy acceleration. Resonators are there to help muffle the sound of the exhaust...hell they even make exhaust tips with a resonators built in. When I added my intake on Monday the sound got even better, deeper, and louder.

Here's what you do...go to muffler shop, spend $40 to get the resonator removed and hold onto it. Drive it around a few days...and if you decide you don't like the sound, go spend $40 to have the resonator put back in and save up for cat back.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by chefhhr
No popping, no sputtering, no crackling. It's funny everyone has chimed in but no one really knows...but guess what...I do...lol.

Honestly, I'm super funny about how my ride sounds. When I first got my resonator deleted the extra sound was small and could really only be heard on heavy acceleration. Resonators are there to help muffle the sound of the exhaust...hell they even make exhaust tips with a resonators built in. When I added my intake on Monday the sound got even better, deeper, and louder.

Here's what you do...go to muffler shop, spend $40 to get the resonator removed and hold onto it. Drive it around a few days...and if you decide you don't like the sound, go spend $40 to have the resonator put back in and save up for cat back.
I'm glad it works for you and you're ears enjoy the sound.

We all chime in because we know that's what tons of people do and that's why they sound so poppy and cracklin or buzzin. I am not infact familiar with the mufflers on the HHR but most factory mufflers are your basic style mufflers unless it's a performance exhaust. With that being said, I'm certain deleting the resonator or muffler on these general factory type exhausts do generally give the "NOISE" we hear from those "ricers". Why because a resonator works with a muffler to resonate the sound before that sound goes into the muffler to be....well, muffled. One without the other changes pitches and sound levels just as not having either makes for one loud 4-banger.

I still say a preformance stealth exhaust is best. Low noise and great preformance.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:52 AM

I was just poking fun at you all :-P
Old 07-26-2012, 09:56 AM

Well even if i hate the noise ill have 80 bucks in a trail and error. and if i like it ill save hundreds over an exhaust.

Im gunna take your word on it chef. Gunna have it removed tomarrow. Ill post what i think after i drive it. Thanks everyone for your input. give it a go.

And i do agree that a good full exhaust is the best way to go. Bit this is no race car and i cant justify the amount of money ao it. Maybe an SS i could but not this.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
The resonator is there to "smooth" out the sound. Without it, you may wind up with that popping,sputtering, crackling sound on deceleration.
Love that sound!
Old 07-26-2012, 10:15 AM

I got my wife to video me while she was sitting on the porch. I did a little drive by but she was too far for the phone to really pick up the sound. I'll retry it tonight at my folks house and post the results.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by chefhhr
I was just poking fun at you all :-P
Gotta poke harder next time.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:17 PM

Ok here's a clip of startup and rev with my K&N and new tip. Theres a tiny bit of sputter I guess, but overall it sounds great, especially under WOT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_p7E...e_gdata_player
Old 07-26-2012, 08:30 PM

Well I think it sounds great. I'm getting my resonator took off tomorrow. I'll post how it sounds. Thanks
Old 07-26-2012, 08:33 PM

I think you'll enjoy it. It's really perfect for me.

Quick Reply: Resonator delete