Mods - Engine/Exhaust EngineCompartment/Exhaust Discussions. (Non-Performace)

Resonator delete

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 07:21 AM

Sound clips usually aren't perfect by any means with out the correct equiptment but that doesn't really sound......horrible. Maybe one of these days when I'm in ATL for work or a concert or what not, I can hear it in person and get the true sound.

I really enjoy the proper sound of a true power 4-banger correctly piped but it's the "kids" that have cut the muffler or resonator off trying to get the "FnF" sound that tends to irritate me.........but alas...I was in high school once........20 years ago....hehe.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by kwe45919
Sound clips usually aren't perfect by any means with out the correct equiptment but that doesn't really sound......horrible. Maybe one of these days when I'm in ATL for work or a concert or what not, I can hear it in person and get the true sound.

I really enjoy the proper sound of a true power 4-banger correctly piped but it's the "kids" that have cut the muffler or resonator off trying to get the "FnF" sound that tends to irritate me.........but alas...I was in high school once........20 years ago....hehe.
Yeah I was in high school 20 years ago too and I did cut mufflers off Honda's and you know what, it was great back then!

It's definitely hard to get a good sound clip through an iPhone, but I was trying to help swerv out best I could and I don't have all the correct equipment to pull a great sound clip.

True power 4-banger correctly piped? You mean a fart can? I'm sure if you did some research here you'd find out that our factory muffler's aren't as restrictive as in most other 4 bangers, which is why there's a need for resonator on our exhaust system. Also, since I'm sure you've done your homework, the power band of adding a muffler is really not worth the money unless an extra HP or 2 helps you sleep at night...maybe a full header, downpipe, cat-back would gain you an extra 5-8 HP if you are lucky. I guess this is why most of the guys on here have opted for the cheaper brand mufflers such as Dynomax, Thrush, IMCO, etc. There's a few guys that have the cat-backs and sure they are nice, but really all you're buying is stainless pipes and a little sound...but I'm sure you know that.

I'm not sure what a true power 4-banger is supposed to sound like since it's hard to make a 4 cylinder sound like a v8. The nay sayers can say what they want, it sounds good as hell in person...and guess what...I've only got $40 in it!
Old 07-27-2012, 10:40 AM

Resonator is gone. Heres my opinion. no more noise in the car than before. All the noise is comimg from the intake. From outside the exhaust has a nice burble under deceleration.

Sounds great no pack of bees to be found.

Heres another question. The muffler shop suggested removing the rear cat and resonator. I decided to go piece by piece and just do the resonator. Opinions on removing the rear cat?
Old 07-27-2012, 11:00 AM

I'd suggest leaving the cat alone. Big fines invloved. Also headaches ttying to put one back in if one is not there already (shop liability). Cats today are essentially high flow unit's.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:06 AM

Thats why i left it. Wanted to get more opinions.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:00 PM

Yeah if the resonator delete didn't get you the sound you wanted really your only other option would be a new muffler, maybe a dynomax or magnaflow unit. If you do go that route, you'll probably want to replace that resonator.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:07 PM

alright here ya go. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDs-J5pIXmg

tell me what you think
Old 07-27-2012, 01:27 PM

Sounds similar to mine before adding the intake. The K&N gave mine a little deeper tone...kinda took the raspyness out of it. If you want something louder with more rumble you definitely should look at changing out the muffler.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:37 PM

i may look into it. for now this sounds good enough for me. thanks for all the input.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:12 PM

Hey Brandon, have you noticed anything different with the resonator gone? Other than a little extra sound. Took mine out around the town tonight. The DIC was reading about 2-4 mpg better than normal. I jumped on the highway and it usually reads around 32. It was reading 35 tonight. Maybe I'm crazy but it seems to be getting better mileage. I averaged 29 mpg tonight and that included a lot of stop and go traffic.

Quick Reply: Resonator delete