Mods - Exterior Discussion related to the looks of the exterior of the HHR.

Chrome Tail Light Rings

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Prowlen
Glad you got it done! Great improvement worth the time and effort that really looks great on the HHR. Would love to see some photos.

I decided my left lower ring wasn't quite right and broke it trying to remove it! It was almost off and broke on the last tug. I turned it 180 degrees and stuck it back on for a perfect fit. I ordered a new set just to replace the one broken one, so I will have some spares available too. You can purchase a single but over $30.00 delivered for 1 each.

While I was at it I ordered some Spring Edition smoked headlights and GE Platinum Nighthawk bulbs plus some Silver Star parking lamps.
I researched SS front bumper removal and it looks straight forward and fairly easy to do. Can't wait for the new look! Best regards...
thank you for your tips on installing the rings! mine came in today and I too was surprised at their egg shape. I have several little add-ons coming and will post some photos when I get everything installed. thanks again!
Old 08-27-2014, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by NYCHHR
I finally installed the chrome tail light rings this past weekend. Its not always easy to work on your car when you live in NYC, but found the time and place to do it.

I took all your steps and used them for the installation. I could find the little up arrow on only one ring as the tape covered it up on the three others. But as you suggested, you just need to play around with them and rotate to get the best fit. And your suggestion of using tape as a marker worked out great as it was very easy to line them up correctly for the final stick-on installation.

I washed the lenses twice with plain water, then washed them twice with alcohol to get all the wax off. Then as you suggested, saw where the rings would attach and only used the promoter pad on that area. The first ring installation took the longest, but once you get the hang of it the others went faster.

Its amazing how much they improve the looks of the tail lights, as if somethine was missing or fell off the original lights. It makes the light look complete, like its how they should have looked all along. A friend was equally impressed and said the same thing. I couldn't stop looking at them they look so good. All the other retro cars have similar chrome bezels for the tail lights, and it just fits the car design from the late 40's era. I thought more chrome might look garish, but it doesn't at all. So glad I finally got around to the installation!
beautiful car! hard to beat black and chrome!