Mods - Exterior Discussion related to the looks of the exterior of the HHR.

Rear reflectors and backup lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 06:05 AM

Lightbulb Rear reflectors and backup lights

As you can see on this picture of a standard European version of the HHR, a set of reflectors is installed beneath the rear bumper. This is because the reflectors set inside the bumper are too far from the outer edges of the vehicle.

An additional eyesore is the light box under the bumper that houses a red lens for the rear fog light and a white lens for the back up light. This is because the factory HHR is not equipped with a rear fog light, and for Europe they swapped the white back up bulbs with amber turn signal bulbs, because the combination red tail/stop/turn light is not acceptable in all European countries, although this is not a concern here in Switzerland, so going back to red signals combined in the brake light is something I would no be opposed to.

I would like to get rid of the reflectors under the bumper, but still have red retroreflectors that conform with European guidelines. Looking at the lens of the back up light (or in case of the Euro HHR, the turn signal lens), I wonder why the red ring around the white lens hasn't been made reflective; its location would conform with any European or American requirements.

Has anyone had those back up lenses out, and foresee some possibility to retrofit them with red reflector material, perhaps cut out of a bigger reflector into a ring that can be fitted inside the lens?

This would allow me to get rid of the ugly under-bumper reflectors, and lead me to part 2 of my rear lighting clean-up project: remove that unsightly light box under the bumper, and put them in other locations. I have seen a few mods on this forum that have successfully made some adaptations to the in-bumper reflectors - which I have no use for anyway because of their placement.

One idea is to replace these reflectors with red LED strips and allow them to light up as rear fog lights, while the back up lights would go behind the white lenses where they are found in the American version.

Or the other way round - have the back up lights in the bumper, and use red LED bulbs behind the clear lenses as rear fog lights.

Or leave the bumper reflectors alone, and install a red LED bulb on the left side and a white LED bulb on the right side behind those clear lenses. Many cars come equipped like that nowadays, as rear fog lights can be placed anywhere from the middle to the left edge of the car, although I prefer symmetry.

I have also considered using switchback LED bulbs and put everything inside those four taillight lenses.

Alright before I keep going on about the countless options of how the rear lighting could be arranged, I would just ask some pointers about how to put reflector rings inside those factory lenses.

Thanks a ton

Fred

Last edited by ChevyMgr; 02-11-2011 at 07:54 AM. Reason: resized pic to site guidelines
Old 02-09-2011, 06:18 AM
Banned

Well, first. Off. Welcome to the Forum/family. There are countless ways to do this. Maybe consider buying some red color reflector tape and installing it inside the lens' so it still functions properly and cuts down on the sore thumb reflectors.
i'd say for the rear fogs, clear lens' and red led bulbs would be sweet.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:07 AM
Deceased

Welcome and Greetings!!
Old 02-09-2011, 07:39 AM

welcome to the site I thought the red ring in the back up lenses were reflective? I will have to go check them tonight. maybe there different lenses on the US cars then what you have.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:21 PM

Forgive my drity car but the rear back up lights seem reflective to me of is this not enough. this was taken at night with camera flash.
Attached Images  
Old 02-11-2011, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Lucky
Forgive my drity car but the rear back up lights seem reflective to me of is this not enough. this was taken at night with camera flash.
Thanks for the warm welcome all! Been on here for months reading up on useful tips but every time I wanted to post a question I kinda let it go because it had me sign up. Since I'll be driving HHR for a few years to come, I figured it would be beneficial, so I signed up at last.

Thanks for verifying the reflector on the back up light; I will take a look myself tonight with a flashlight and compare against the in-bumper and "sore thumb" reflectors. There has to be a reason they added extra reflectors, and I will make sure to post any findings here. If the reflection is too dim, perhaps the idea with the tape might be all it takes.

Thanks for all your help, though!
Old 02-11-2011, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Lucky

I've been behind HHR's at night and those are not reflective. At least nothing like the bumper ones.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:34 AM
Banned

If he bought it used it could previously have been a fleet vehicle that the companey required those be installed.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:41 AM

I did the flashlight test this weekend and there is a certain amount of reflection coming out of the red ring on the back up lenses if you hit it at just the right angle, probably from the mirror reflector behind the lens.

Nothing like the proper retroflectors that cast the full amount of light back in the direction of its source.

I will contemplate a few possibilities, perhaps using Scotchlite tape or cutting a surplus reflector into the right shape and post any results here.

Thanks for all your input!
Old 02-14-2011, 05:14 AM
Banned

Glad I could help as I'm sure everyone else is.