Plasti-Dip/Plasti-Dipping A sub-forum for the discussion of Plasti-Dip and its various uses.

Plasti Dip thread

Old 07-12-2014, 04:41 PM
Deceased

Good thread, and great idea lunchbox!

How about a Plasti-Dip sub-forum in the "Appearance/Modifications Discussions" section?

If y'all think it's a good idea, I can set one up by Monday, just let me know.
Old 07-12-2014, 05:16 PM

Thanks guys, i really do enjoy my Plasti Dip

Whopper: I hear ya on the wheels, gotta keep em dipped. It looks good, reduces rock chips and scratches, and when you get tired of the color, just peel it off and BAM fresh wheels underneath.

amcford: It totally changed the look of my wagon. It's the best thing to come out of a hit-and-run

843de: Yeah, thats cool with me If there is enough interest from other members of the forum.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by whopper
I'm not sure of the price of it elsewhere in Canada here, but our local supplier wants $18 a can!!!! So I've been picking it up down in the US at Home Depot for ~$6 a can.
You've been coming down to the states and not visiting? And here I thought we were friends...
Old 07-12-2014, 07:08 PM

Hello.

I like this thread!

I haven't tried it. Does it come in a spray can?.

How do you use it? Does it stick to glass?

Can you give us tips on using it in detail, etc?

Boydie
Old 07-12-2014, 08:03 PM

Whopper: that's pretty pricey for a single can of dip, have you looked into getting it shipped to you? I buy from DipYourCar or just pick up cans from the hardware store for $6. I haven't tried any other brand of similar product, but i'm gonna stick with the original.

Boydie: I would suggest searching youtube for "dip your car" if you want more information and visual guidance, but i'll try to answer to my best ability.

You can get Plasti Dip in cans, either aerosol or the original ( thick rubber goo that you actually dip tool handles in to apply a rubber grip ) from your local hardware store, but they usually only have black or white spray. It takes a couple aerosol cans to do a set of wheels, but i always grab extra for coverage of at least 5 coats ( the more layers you apply the easier it is to remove later ).

I purchase by the gallon because i use so much, on average about 2 to 3 gallons for a full car dip. You can get gallons from DipYourCar.com, or use the original Plasti Dip cans of thick goo, and thin it down with a 50/50 mix with Xylene or Naphtha. The gallons or mixed dip is sprayed using a "Wagner" style paint gun, or you can buy a whole kit from DipYourCar, that comes with gallons of any color plus the spray gun.

It does stick to glass, and pretty much any clean surface. I spray my rear window every time, i think it completes the "smoothed" look of my hatch. You can even dip your tires if you like, i did a set of white walls just to see if it would work.

The most important step is prep, just like a real paint job. When i dip my wagon I thoroughly clean it first, then tape off the roof, the wheels, and the radiator. I also remove the tail lights, window seals, and grille for a cleaner look. Over-spray cleans up easily with a micro fiber cloth, but if you spray it thick enough ( over the headlights or windows ) it peels right off. It will stay on as long as you want it, or just peel it off like a giant sticker.

I'm sure there's plenty of unanswered questions still, so keep asking and i'll try to help
Old 07-12-2014, 08:49 PM

Here's the white walls i tried out. Just a test to see if i really wanted white walls, before i went and bought a set of tires. First I taped off the wheel, and the outer edge of the tire ( over-spray is a pain to clean out of tire treads ). I didn't try to tape off the edge of the stripe. The nature of the Dip allows it to separate at any seam it is sprayed over. My tires happen to have a seam from the mold it was made in, that allowed for a descent width white wall. I then applied quite a few coats of white Plasti Dip, then peeled off the excess.

Old 07-12-2014, 09:03 PM

An example of the removal process, comes off no problem, and still got the gloss black paint underneath.

Old 07-13-2014, 01:08 AM
Deceased

A Plasti-Dip sub forum it is then, I'll have one set up by Monday.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:46 AM

Looking great. I would love to do one of the new Alien colors on mine. I have enough Black and Monster green already thats never been used but after seeing the alien color though im having second thoughts lol
Old 07-13-2014, 08:54 AM

Thank you Lunchbox

It is time to experiment?

Can you spray - or have you ever tried to spray regular paint overtop the dip?

Boydie

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Plasti Dip thread