Plasti-Dip/Plasti-Dipping A sub-forum for the discussion of Plasti-Dip and its various uses.

Plasti Dip thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 09:00 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Frenchy42
You've been coming down to the states and not visiting? And here I thought we were friends...
LOL - we gotta get together one of these days. Our last couple of trips have been pretty busy, but hopefully within the next month we can work out something. My last trip was tying me up finding and installing a new alternator in the bike - that totally destroyed my "free" time.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:41 AM

sinabu: Definitely, i really want to try the Alien colors, they just look amazing. I just stocked up on enough clear and pearl for my next dip, but now i kinda want to use a chameleon instead. It's really a tough decision.

Boydie: I have seen it done, but I've only experimented with airbrushing over the dip. If you apply a thick enough base coat of Dip and a thin top coat of paint, it should work. From what I've heard, the paint greatly reduces the ease of removal later on. What did you plan on doing with it?
Old 07-13-2014, 11:39 AM

I don't like the side windows. I Like the Looks of the Panels better. Thinking plasti-dipping/painting the side windows on my SS. I'll probably just go with black plasti-dip.

Thanks

Boydie

Originally Posted by lunchbox
sinabu: Definitely, i really want to try the Alien colors, they just look amazing. I just stocked up on enough clear and pearl for my next dip, but now i kinda want to use a chameleon instead. It's really a tough decision.
Originally Posted by lunchbox
Boydie: I have seen it done, but I've only experimented with airbrushing over the dip. If you apply a thick enough base coat of Dip and a thin top coat of paint, it should work. From what I've heard, the paint greatly reduces the ease of removal later on. What did you plan on doing with it?
Old 07-13-2014, 12:47 PM

Count me in as a big fan of Plasti-dip. Plan on dipping my HHR as soon as I can plan on some extra time. Want to do a 2-tone so you are supposed to wait about a week for one color to fully cure so tape will not pull initial color off vehicle. Another great benefit is, covering chrome or polished metals. For example, the forks on my motorcycle were a polished aluminum and very difficult to paint over(tearing apart the forks and powdercoating was something I was not interested in doing). I Plasti-dipped them and then painted them a gloss black. Because of the texture of the dip, the final paint almost looks like a powdercoat. I am going with the pro car kits from Dip your car and get the good sprayer and 4 gals. and accessories for under $400. I plan on dipping my motorcycle also. The possibilities are endless. I almost love this stuff as much as my kids. I look forward to learning more on this forum and check out Dip your car videos on youtube(also on website). Fonzie does a good job of giving you all kinds of little tips. Highly recommend before you proceed
Old 07-14-2014, 10:43 AM

Although not the whole HHR, I have used it for stripes. My first set were over-the-roof.

It currently has a set of blue Plasti-Dip hash marks on the front fenders.
(Looking for photo)
Old 07-14-2014, 12:02 PM

Hmmmm.....Plasti-dip over lace?????

Thinking possibilities are endless too.

Boydie

Originally Posted by redridehhr
Count me in as a big fan of Plasti-dip. Plan on dipping my HHR as soon as I can plan on some extra time. Want to do a 2-tone so you are supposed to wait about a week for one color to fully cure so tape will not pull initial color off vehicle. Another great benefit is, covering chrome or polished metals. For example, the forks on my motorcycle were a polished aluminum and very difficult to paint over(tearing apart the forks and powdercoating was something I was not interested in doing). I Plasti-dipped them and then painted them a gloss black. Because of the texture of the dip, the final paint almost looks like a powdercoat. I am going with the pro car kits from Dip your car and get the good sprayer and 4 gals. and accessories for under $400. I plan on dipping my motorcycle also. The possibilities are endless. I almost love this stuff as much as my kids. I look forward to learning more on this forum and check out Dip your car videos on youtube(also on website). Fonzie does a good job of giving you all kinds of little tips. Highly recommend before you proceed
Old 07-14-2014, 06:38 PM

Great idea on the white walls. Try the look before buying white walls. Will definitely give this a shot.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:05 AM
Deceased

Hey gang, just your friendly Admin here, there is still going to be a "Plasti-Dip" sub forum as promised.

But the A/C in our place pooped out yesterday, a "bad board" is the diagnosis, and the board the techs stole/borrowed from another unit lasted an hour.

So it's 90 degrees in the condo as I type this to the sound of window fans running at full speed, thankfully my wife and son are out of town so it's just me and the cats "enjoying" this experience.

Not sure who has had more ice water today, me or the furry ones.

So I've been informed that the new board will be installed by noon tomorrow and then I'll be chillin' and setting up the new sub forum.

Thanks for your patience.

Mike the Human Puddle.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:56 PM

Putter: The stripes look great. I tried the fender hash marks too, before I peeled it all off. They came out alright, and are super easy to apply.

redridehhr: I've never tired a two-tone before, always wanted to but never got around to it. Keep us posted, when you do get around to dipping, i'd like to see it all prepped and sprayed. Definitely get the Pro Car kit, the new gun is amazing.

Boydie: That's a great idea, lay down a heavy flake on the roof, then spray through some lace. Definitely an ol' school look.

843de: Thanks for the sub forum Hope ya got that A/C workin', its too hot for all that
Old 07-16-2014, 09:40 PM
Deceased

No problem on the sub forum there lunchbox, just sorry it was delayed a bit. But you know yourself, sometimes here in the Southland, it can be too dang hot to think.

And yes our A/C is working like a champ, a big to Charlotte Comfort Systems and their techs Joe and Steve!

Quick Reply: Plasti Dip thread