Plasti-Dip/Plasti-Dipping A sub-forum for the discussion of Plasti-Dip and its various uses.

A warning for all Plasti-Dippers!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 04:09 PM

A warning for all Plasti-Dippers!

Folks, please learn from my mistake.

There is a product from Rustoleum called "Peel Coat" that purports to be the same as Plastidip and it is on the same shelf as Plastidip, is priced similarly and everything.
When I went to Wally World to get a couple of cans of Plastidip to do my new running boards, they were completely out of black so I looked at the competitor.
What the hell, I thought. Comparable product, comparable results. How different could it be?

DO NOT BE FOOLED AS I WAS. This is by no stretch of the imagination similar to what I have seen in videos of the way Plastidip goes on.
This crap looks very much like a thin spray paint, so much so I wonder if they did not mis-fill the cans or something because it is so very different.
After 4 decent coats, I would expect it to be covering the underlying paint and just need a couple more coats to make it thick enough. Not so by any means.
I am going to go ahead and finish up the second can and see what it looks like, but I am afraid I will be buying some mineral spirits to clean this *%#$@!& CRAP off!
Old 04-02-2017, 04:26 PM
Technical Moderator

Mineral spirits? Plasti-dip peels off.

I used some stuff from Home Despot that may be what you got, worked fine for what I was doing, and did just peel off.
Old 04-02-2017, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Mineral spirits? Plasti-dip peels off.

I used some stuff from Home Despot that may be what you got, worked fine for what I was doing, and did just peel off.
Well, after two full cans I have what looks like it might be a basecoat to apply some real PD to.
But I am torn between doing that and just taking off everything I can and redoing from scratch with PD.
Old 04-02-2017, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Casa Del Gatos
Well, after two full cans I have what looks like it might be a basecoat to apply some real PD to.
But I am torn between doing that and just taking off everything I can and redoing from scratch with PD.
beat thing by far for removing that stuff or at least plasti dip is Black Magic Tire Wet. The kind in the spray bottle. Seriously. Try it.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:13 PM

thats it, make a goulash out of it.
Old 04-03-2017, 06:46 AM

I actually took the plasti dip off my mirror covers and rear beauty bar yesterday using the Tire Wet, an old credit card, and a towel. If you dont lay the layers on thick enough it wont peel off. Just let the tire wet soak in for a couple minutes and that stuff will come off like warm butter. I finished it off with the power washer and a quick wash and we are good to go!
Old 04-03-2017, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by aradmahogany
I actually took the plasti dip off my mirror covers and rear beauty bar yesterday using the Tire Wet, an old credit card, and a towel. If you dont lay the layers on thick enough it wont peel off. Just let the tire wet soak in for a couple minutes and that stuff will come off like warm butter. I finished it off with the power washer and a quick wash and we are good to go!
Good to know. I have a 6-pack of PD coming and will see what's what this weekend.
Old 05-28-2017, 06:25 PM

If you wanna dip your vehicle check out dipyourcar.com they have a wider variety of colors in a rattle can or colors and perals youu can spray.
Old 06-04-2017, 05:49 PM
Premium Member

Made my first attempt to Plasti-Dip today. I wanted to do 2 bars on my front grill. That didn't work out to well, so I peeled it off and did just the bowtie. Here's what I learned, DON"T attempt this procedure when it's 100 degrees outside. The dip 'cures' too quickly so removing the tape prior to drying is next to impossible. I ended up using an exacto knife to cut to dip to keep it from pulling off. https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/redzone/attach/jpeg.gif
Attached Thumbnails A warning for all Plasti-Dippers!-plasti-dip.jpg