Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Electical ground problems:transm., BCM, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 02:13 PM
JCC

Electical ground problems:transm., BCM, etc.

2006-08 Chevy Transmission Control ModuleFIX! Easy! BCM Problem, Connection issue
Has any one had this problem as stated in the video and corrected it by this ground fix? Do you see any problem in doing this anyway as PM (preventative maintenance)? I have problems with dash gauges not reading correct all the time. Fuel gauge will read full after fill-up, then read 1/8 or 1/4 less the next start or later, then go back to full after this. Temp. gauge does not have this problem. The RPM is not steady and does not seem correct at times. Does anyone have a chart on where all the ground wires are on the engine and in the engine bay/ compartment and through-out the HHR? I see lots of problem which turns out to be ground problems or loose connections. Thanks, JC
Old 09-24-2015, 03:21 PM
Platinum Member

Doesn't look like it would hurt giving it a try. Just do a better job than in the video - ie: solder proper connectors on both ends of the new ground wire rather than the bogus method of just twisting the wire and pinching it down with the bolts and nuts.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:39 PM
Administrator

A great fix indeed, I have two suggestions,
1: use a black wire for ground as most vehicles have black for ground and red for positive
2: solder, crimp on ring connector to the wire to complete the connection ( the method in the video will work but will corrode or shake the nut and bolt loose
Old 09-24-2015, 09:18 PM
Platinum Member

Agreed!!! That was one sloppy job in the video. If that was rust on the top of the struts, no wonder he had grounding problems.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:19 PM
JCC

Something to consider on this ground question???

Following -up,

I was looking at Ijazzu post from another area which I show below FYI. He makes a good point to consider in this same area. They (the dealership/ factory) MAY have made some changes and/or had some problems in this area regarding electrical contact. The new added ground wire which this post is about is dealing with a problem with the Transmission Control Module, BCM Problems, Connection Issues. The photo in this post does not have the Warning Notice, which questions the addition of it on later models.

Good question would be if the new added ground wire would help or hurt if electrical contact was made? Would the part (CM) be helped by the added ground wire or just burn up the computer module (CM)? One may guest that if the area did not have the warning notice you might try the new ground wire. And if it did have the warning notice WELL... ?????

Again... Does anyone have a chart on where all the ground wires are on the engine and in the engine bay/ compartment and through-out the HHR? Are know where to look for this info?
THANKS, JC

================================================== ====

If you have a late model HHR and you lift the cover off the computer modules you should see this warning on the top computer unit.

You will also notice that the positive battery terminal is next to the computers.

You should make sure that you KEEP the protective cover on the positive battery terminal when it is not being used. If the cover is lost & you need to replace it, the stealership will charge 30 dollars for that small plastic part.

If the computer unit does touch the battery terminal your DIC_ will go crazy and give you all kinds of crazy readings like: no power steering-no fuel-low power-you may NOT be able to turn the car off.
The computer units are very costly at the stealership. To avoid the problem please keep the units covered at all times.
If you are going to work in that area: 1. Disconnect the battery in the rear trunk area. 2. Put a folded towel over the rear hatch lock to allow you to reconnect the battery after you have completed your work.
Old 09-26-2015, 04:20 PM
Platinum Member

With, or without the extra ground, would result in the same toasted unit.
Old 05-14-2018, 11:44 AM

What is the other small red wire just above the (pos) connection? Its "terminal" / "connection" is covered by the fuse box lid. I had seen a "diagram" for this and can only imagine it's some type of ground for the battery? The diagram I saw was labeled with numbers, but zero chart or explanation of what each "number" actually is ��
Old 05-14-2018, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by FrustratedMomOf4
What is the other small red wire just above the (pos) connection? Its "terminal" / "connection" is covered by the fuse box lid. I had seen a "diagram" for this and can only imagine it's some type of ground for the battery? The diagram I saw was labeled with numbers, but zero chart or explanation of what each "number" actually is ��
That terminal is for the power steering.