Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

At my wits end with these brakes!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 01:51 PM

At my wits end with these brakes!

Okay, I'll try to keep this as short as possible. I have an '07 HHR. A couple of months ago I put new pads, rotor and a new caliper on the driver's side. I was having some grinding, took off the pads and noticed the outer pad was worn on the front end. Put on the new parts and everything was good. The passenger side was still good being as they were only about 8 months old, but I changed them anyway.

I have custom wheels. I had painted the old calipers, but the new one I hadn't painted. The new one started to get rusty and was clearly visible through the wheel. I thought it looked bad, so I took off the caliper and painted it. Here is where my nightmare began.

I almost immediately got a squeaking noise from the drivers side. So I re-install everything, making sure everything was nice and greased. Still the squeaking. I drove it for about a week like that. The squeaking stops when the brake is applied and seems worse when I turn to the left. It also stops after I get up to about 40-45 mph. I mean this is a LOUD squeaking. Also seems to get worse the longer I drive it.

So, yesterday I go buy new pads (again). This time I got a pair a little more expensive, thinking it may be the pads themselves. Searching youtube, I found several remedies for squeaky brakes. So I added some disc brake quiet to the back of the pads, and sanded down the edges of the new pads. Greased up everything, caliper pins, caliper piston etc. I drive around for a while and everything is good. Then, after an hour or so...SQUEAKING!!!

I am so frustrated at this point. I have done everything I know to do, including bleeding the brakes. The next step is to take it to a shop, which I really, really do not want to do. Anything you can think of to help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long post, but this is driving me nuts
Old 04-29-2014, 02:09 PM

Have you checked the right side hub? Some pads squeak depending on the pad. Mine did this and When I changed the rotors and pads I also lubed the caliper slider pins, and any place there was metal to metal contact. After that no more squeaks. This may help or not. Just throwing suggestions your way. Hope you get it taken care of.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:36 PM

Here was my problem, the pad guides (hope that is the right name for it) ware hitting the rotor, check for any scratch marks!

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/cv-joints-brakes-issue-50320/
Old 04-29-2014, 03:10 PM

Yeah, I have lubed the guide pins twice. I know there has to be some rubbing somewhere. I looked before I installed everything to check spacing and it all looked fine. But I'm wondering if after it gets hot, something is expanding and touching the rotor. I can't see any obvious scratch marks on the rotor itself, but to be honest, I haven't checked the back side of the rotor. I guess that will be my next option. Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate it.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:25 PM

Keep in mind that a break squeak can be a high pitched vibration, instead of something rubbing. If paint got on the mounting bracket, where the pads meet the bracket,I think it could change the surface and create a vibration...I have no evidence to back up what I'm saying, its just a thought
Old 04-30-2014, 12:32 AM
Platinum Member

I painted my calipers & brackets & rotor hats several years ago.. No issues. But I made sure to not paint where pads 'stainless' anti-rattlers go on..

Plus always keep the rear drum brakes adjusted up properly..

I would suggest checking that hub for too much end play..