Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

2007 Power Steering failure

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 10:33 PM

2007 Power Steering failure

Last month, I was in the middle of a 180 degree turn on an exit ramp, when the power steering went out, with no advance warning. At first, I thought I might have somehow bumped the ignition switch off (since I am still waiting on a fix from my dealer for that recall). But, with the engine still running, I quickly evaluated what was going on and pulled over along the interstate.

I checked the fuse/relay box under the hood, and found many of my fuses/relays not firmly seated in their sockets. I started out again, but still no power steering. I pulled over again 5 miles later and again, pushed all of them firmly down. This time, it came on, and has been fine ever since.

This wasn't a huge deal for me, because I'm a dude and have worked on cars (shade tree) for 32 years. But, had this been my Mom or daughter driving it, I would have had serious concerns, as I don't think an elderly person or a younger driver, would have handled it as well; perhaps it could have led to an accident. I'm glad it was me and not my family. But it does make me wonder about this car and the problems that have been encountered - bad rotors from almost day one, sub-par ignition switch, and now the surprise-no-power-steering event.

I did search this forum for power steering failure and see that some model years have had similar no-warning failures, but with a different cause. Wondering if my situation was isolated or not.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:14 AM

Strange that your search did not turn anything up. That is one of the first solutions suggested way back in the beginning. Most times the complaint is the instrument panel lights or the radio.

But, you probably are eligible for the "lifetime warranty" on the power steering motor. That symptom usually clears itself after a key cycle only to return later.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:04 AM
Platinum Member

Back in the days when belt driven power steering pumps where the only type, what did we do if we "slung" a belt ? Manhandle it to the side of the road or carefully drive it somewhere to get it repaired.

It just amazes me that folks think this is such a dangerous problem now. I don't remember some big call to arms for a recall back then.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:22 AM

The difference between now and then is, back then, I routinely checked my belts and thus, never slung one as you put it, because I kept up with the recommended maintenance, like inspecting and replacing belts. I don't recall anywhere in my owners manual about inspecting the fuse box on a routine basis. Apples and oranges.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Back in the days when belt driven power steering pumps where the only type, what did we do if we "slung" a belt ? Manhandle it to the side of the road or carefully drive it somewhere to get it repaired.

It just amazes me that folks think this is such a dangerous problem now. I don't remember some big call to arms for a recall back then.

IMHO it is less to do with the danger and more to do with the quantity of failing EPS motors. When you have wide spread failures due to malfunctioning parts, those parts need to be redesigned and replaced.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Seeburg220
Last month, I was in the middle of a 180 degree turn on an exit ramp, when the power steering went out, with no advance warning. At first, I thought I might have somehow bumped the ignition switch off (since I am still waiting on a fix from my dealer for that recall). But, with the engine still running, I quickly evaluated what was going on and pulled over along the interstate.

I checked the fuse/relay box under the hood, and found many of my fuses/relays not firmly seated in their sockets. I started out again, but still no power steering. I pulled over again 5 miles later and again, pushed all of them firmly down. This time, it came on, and has been fine ever since.

This wasn't a huge deal for me, because I'm a dude and have worked on cars (shade tree) for 32 years. But, had this been my Mom or daughter driving it, I would have had serious concerns, as I don't think an elderly person or a younger driver, would have handled it as well; perhaps it could have led to an accident. I'm glad it was me and not my family. But it does make me wonder about this car and the problems that have been encountered - bad rotors from almost day one, sub-par ignition switch, and now the surprise-no-power-steering event.

I did search this forum for power steering failure and see that some model years have had similar no-warning failures, but with a different cause. Wondering if my situation was isolated or not.
Hello Seeburg220,

I apologize about your power steering and the concern that this has caused. I would be happy to look into this further for you. Can you please send me a PM with your VIN, current mileage, contact info and a preferred dealership? Thanks!

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 05-21-2014, 11:20 PM
Platinum Member

Inspecting the fuse box? The fuses had nothing to do with the power steering motor turning off. It's the motor itself shutting itself off. That is why GM is doing the extended warranty for it.

You need to see your dealer.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by whopper
Inspecting the fuse box? The fuses had nothing to do with the power steering motor turning off. It's the motor itself shutting itself off. That is why GM is doing the extended warranty for it.

You need to see your dealer.
I assumed since it was an electrically operated motor, that it would be fuse or breaker protected. Since many of the fuses and modules were not seated very well, AND it began operating again after I pushed them down twice, that that was the culprit. But I will contact GM ASAP.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:15 PM
Platinum Member

Because you think you "repaired" the steering motor by pushing on the fuses in the under hood fuse box, I would suggest that your problem may be with the fuse box itself. It is 2 pieces, and has been noted to cause electrical problems by slightly separating. GM issued a bulletin in regard to this. When you think you are reseating the fuses you are really pushing the pieces of the fuse box together. But if this condition does exist, you do need a good repair or a new fuse box.

I said this once before and I'll say it again......if you have the OEM under hood fuse box, the fuses CANNOT get lose enough to NOT connect power. The lid of the box is built specifically so this cannot happen. Look at it. It has a slightly honeycomb underside that will only allow fuses to "back out" slightly.......but not enough to disconnect. Been tested and proved many, many times.