Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

2010 HHR engine noise help

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 02:14 PM

2010 HHR engine noise help

Hey guys i have a 2010 hhr with 97800. Today for some reason it wouldnt start unless i pressed the gas. Like turned the key and it just wouldnt turn over. Yesterday i got a oil change and citgo gas. Now the car starts fine now after a couple tries. The engine does sound a little funny though. Any ideas what could lead to the engine noise or trouble starting??$

HHR noise:

Im hoping to atest the starting issue to bad gas. I threw some seafoam in there to may help
Old 03-15-2014, 06:12 PM

Gee, with all of your specifics my guess is there is something wrong.

Seriously I would suspect the EVAP purge solenoid. That's the one under the hood. But, you would really have to supply a lot more info.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:38 PM
Deceased

I hear the injectors cycling, some cam follower noise, and that's about it. Nothing like a "timing chain hitting the cover" death rattle.

It could be an EVAP Purge Solenoid as Don mentioned, but it would be a good idea to double check the oil level, and take it to your local auto parts store and request that they "pull the codes".

Even if the Check Engine light is off, the vehicle may have stored trouble codes. If it does, post them up here and we'll do our best to point you in the right direction.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by 843de
I hear the injectors cycling, some cam follower noise, and that's about it. Nothing like a "timing chain hitting the cover" death rattle.

It could be an EVAP Purge Solenoid as Don mentioned, but it would be a good idea to double check the oil level, and take it to your local auto parts store and request that they "pull the codes".

Even if the Check Engine light is off, the vehicle may have stored trouble codes. If it does, post them up here and we'll do our best to point you in the right direction.
I will go to the auto parts store and have them pull the codes.. I really have no more information that I know of to give. I will also check the oil lvl Sunday just to make sure. Only other thing I would say I notice is that sometimes it has a hard time coming off the bottom when going.... I dont know if Im expressing that right or not.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:33 PM
Banned

I was going to suggest the same thing. It sounded to me like the engine was moving, but rubbing metal like there was no oil in it. Sounds like perhaps the oil change 'technician' (if you can call them that) didn't tighten the bolt all the way down, and the oil leaked back out. As Mike Mentioned, have the codes read, and make sure there's not something in 'ghost mode'.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:51 AM
Deceased

By "coming off the bottom" I'm guessing that you're having a lag in throttle response, like a momentary pause before it decides to go.

With your mileage on the vehicle, I'd recommend having the throttle body cleaned by your mechanic or dealer, not the gang at the Citgo.

HHR throttle body assemblies are fragile and they must be cleaned with care, even experienced DIY mechanics here have accidentally damaged them or had problems after cleaning them on their own.

Also, if your engine air filter hasn't been changed in a while, have it changed. Dirty filters "strangle" the engine causing lazy throttle response, poor gas mileage, etc.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:20 AM
Platinum Member

My 2 cents.
Any time you hear a engine noise, the First thing thing to do is stop, shut it off and check the oil.

Now, as far as the hard starting problem and the "hard time coming off the bottom", I would think maybe a fuel pump/presssure issue.

Your first post said, "Like turned the key and it just wouldnt turn over."
If it actually would not turn the engine over, then this sounds like a seperate issue. If it WAS turning over but just hard to start, then I think it was just a bad description you gave.