Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

AC Draining onto passenger floor/carpet

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2020, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
The foam stuff is administered from the inside outlet. I could reach down and tickle the drain from the top.

The problem is mold builds up in the tray and blocks the hose. So the foam dissolves the clog.
Thank you so much for that! So, as you mentioned, I ended up finding several sites which have substituted other foaming cleaners to dissolve the mold and muck. One of the best solutions I found was to use Kaboom Foaming Cleaner with Oxi Clean. It's safe for plastics, rubber, and even shower curtains. It dissolves mold and mildew, and is safe to breathe. It actually smells really good, and was highly recommended by my mechanic friend who when I explained what the issue was, he explained that he has used this on car parts for many years, and even has used it to degrease and detail his engine.

I have simply purchased both cans of Kaboom Foaming with Oxi Clean and the Pro WD-40 with the flexible tip, and I was able to bend it so that it snaked right into the hose from above without having to go below. Then, after it poked through, the water ran out (I caught about a liter of water!). After the dripping stopped, I sprayed for about 5 seconds, then the foaming action happened, and I could see it growing and working to clean out residue. Aftere about 30 minutes of it working, I ran the AC for about 15-20 minutes, and then the somewhat disolving foam began to come back out with little fragments of black and sooty appearing blobs. It then ran clear after the last 5 minutes or so. The best part, is that the air now has a clean, yet very faint citrus scent, rather than the somewhat moldy smell it had before.
I can tell this really worked!

I hope this could help simplify anyone's future endeavor and give them a good easy to do solution if they want to get into it simply without the use of a jack, as well as using something that can go into the tray and drain tube that will do something to the persistent mold that might otherwise remain with just an air blow. The best part, is the entire investment was $7

(You can see I've just switched out the can tips from the WD40 Flexible Straw onto the Kaboom Foaming Cleaner):

Old 02-20-2020, 07:45 PM

Getting back to the Sensor under the AC Unit, here is a pic of both the sensor and also the base that it is supposed to clip into. Now I need to figure out how to seat this back into the base so that it doesn't fall out. It appears that one of the clips (the seat-facing one) that is a part of the base has a broken tooth. Does anyone have any ideas what could be done to get this to re-seat it firmly, but not so permanently, that I can't remove it.

Thanks for any thoughts or ideas!

BELOW: In the front, you can see the broken off clip. In the middle, the sensor slot, and in the back (with the yellow mark) is the intact clip.

BELOW: This is the sensor (unplugged) that slides into the slot under the dash in the AC Housing. Note the round hole which goes into the clips (oddly).
Old 02-21-2020, 07:12 AM
Administrator

I told you you can reach the AC drain from the top, good work , thanks for confirming that.
Old 02-21-2020, 07:57 AM

As a side note, use to be spiders loved to get up into the drain hose a make a web that would block it off.

There are videos on youtube that show using baking soda and super glue to repair broken or missing pieces of plastic.
Also JB weld makes a product for plastic that maybe you can use to fabricate the missing part on the clip.
Having a picture of a good one would help also.
Old 02-21-2020, 08:08 AM

NOT a sensor. Resistor pack
Old 02-21-2020, 11:18 AM
Administrator

It appears that screws could be used to hold it in place also

hard to get a picture at that correct angle.
Old 02-22-2020, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
NOT a sensor. Resistor pack
OH! Whoa... this is good to know. Do you happen to know what the purpose of it is? I am guessing that it was replaced at one point, which would likely explain why it looks like it wasn't removed properly, and broke the front clip off.
Old 02-22-2020, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by Cat Man HHR
As a side note, use to be spiders loved to get up into the drain hose a make a web that would block it off.

There are videos on youtube that show using baking soda and super glue to repair broken or missing pieces of plastic.
Also JB weld makes a product for plastic that maybe you can use to fabricate the missing part on the clip.
Having a picture of a good one would help also.
Spiders get into the strangest places, don't they?
Old 02-22-2020, 02:43 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Oldblue
It appears that screws could be used to hold it in place also

hard to get a picture at that correct angle.
Thank you for the pictures on this. You gave me a great suggestion.. I think that those holes in the base could be used for short screws. Possibly to just screw into the actual clips enough to keep it secure, but not too much to keep it from being removed should it need replaced in the future. I really appreciate that!
Old 02-22-2020, 05:56 AM
Administrator

You’re welcome

Quick Reply: AC Draining onto passenger floor/carpet