Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Bad brakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 09:20 PM

lets not go therewith HHR brake issues.... I went with Powerstop cross-drilled and slotted rotors and EBC Green stuff brake pads... not an issue since then
Old 01-03-2011, 09:40 PM

I haven't had any problems with my brakes either, a lot of it is how you use them.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by djr1973
The crappy brakes arent just on the HHR, my wifes Pontiac G6 is the same way.
That was one issue we never did have with my mom's G6, but we only drove it like 23k miles.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:04 AM

There is nothing wrong with the HHR brakes as a whole. Most of the parts are used on many different GM cars that weigh in at higher weights and they see no issues. The Solctice, Malibu and others have the same brakes my SS has.

For the most the only some HHR's see issues as most don't. The issues are no more or less than most makes out there.

I feel it is more the way we drive today and the newer pad materials in the cheaper pads. They used to load them up with better matrials in the past and today they can no longer use many of them. There is better new materials but often they also more expensive.

Often todays cheapr pads are filled with cheap carbons and often times metal. Both are not the best for brakes but are cheap. Most MFG used cheaper parts on some lower priced cars. Think of your Firestone tires that are OE they are far from the best. Now understand the pads are the same like quality. Not the worse but there is much better out there.

The key to fixing the issue is to learn the real issues at play and stop blaiming the rotors.

The one this to learn is like getting off freeway off ramps. If you are doing a hard stop just don't sit and clamp down on the pendal hard at the end. The rotor is hot and will transfer material over very easy. Many will have it wear away but often it will not leading to issues at low miles for many.

Also look at how many have failed bearings. Often the bearings fail 60K-90K miles. THe play is usally more than permitted long before they fail. These are roller bearings and they are failing on all cars today. There are now companies that specialize in just replacment hub bearings as it is such a large market.