Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Blower Fan Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2021, 09:57 AM

Blower Fan Wiring

Hey, I recently replaced my blower as the old one had rusted and was too noisy to be used. During the replacement procedure, I found out that the new blower was spinning in reverse (sucking the air instead of blowing) so I had to reverse the polarity just behind the connector that goes to the fan (I cut, and switched the wires, and taped them back). Now after only one day, the blower stopped working. After much troubleshooting I discovered that the fault was from a black connector (I didn't know what it was, until I searched it up and found out that it wasn't the resistor, but in fact a connector) which stood between the two wires (brown, black) coming from overhead compartment, and then to the blower connector. When I cut a small piece of the wire above the connector, and bypassed it by connecting it directly to the blower, the fan seemed to be working normally. However, before I permanently bypass that connector, I wanted to ask if it'd be okay to do so, and not the reason for any other future problems. Here's a picture of the "connector"

Old 03-28-2021, 05:45 PM

If it was running backwards somebody mixed up the brn wire and the orange wire on the fan motor. The brn wire come from the relay (hot). the Orange wire goes to the switch and the resistor pack. The switch chooses which path to ground by way of the resistors. People assUme the brn wire is ground

I have no idea what you have in your hand but, it looks more like a diode than a connector.
Old 05-24-2021, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
If it was running backwards somebody mixed up the brn wire and the orange wire on the fan motor. The brn wire come from the relay (hot). the Orange wire goes to the switch and the resistor pack. The switch chooses which path to ground by way of the resistors. People assUme the brn wire is ground

I have no idea what you have in your hand but, it looks more like a diode than a connector.
Fixed it, the wires were reversed like you mentioned. I just had to do it the other way...
Old 05-24-2021, 06:33 AM
Administrator

Thank you for the follow up. Thread closed