Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Brake pedal makes rear wiper run

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 01:21 PM

Brake pedal makes rear wiper run

I bought my 2008 HHR LS in April of this year. My rear wiper runs every time I depress the brake pedal. I pulled the relay, as a temporary fix, but that relay also controls opening the rear door, making this a real pain in the a#*! Has anyone seen/had this problem before? I would appreciate any suggestions of where to begin to solve this problem. I have never posted before, but have come here for information many times.

Thank you for your time
Old 09-18-2013, 01:44 PM
Deceased

to the forum!

A couple things come to mind.

You could have damage to the wiring harness, either through rubbing under the dash or in the firewall area, or you could be suffering an after effect of some prior owner's attempt to install trailer wiring. Does it have a hitch, or prior evidence of a hitch.

The other thought, is did you run a Carfax report on it before your purchase?

Unfortunately vehicles damaged by Hurricane Sandy have flooded the used car market.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:08 PM

Thanks for the welcome!!

No hitch, no Sandy, BUT it was in an accident involving the rear passenger side. The airbag didn't deploy, so the impact wasn't too intense. Is it possible that some wiring was damaged as a result of this or the subsequent repairs? Do I rule out the relay? Someone suggested replacing that.(no one here) I am not so sure that makes sense, but I really don't know much about it. Don't relays generally work or don't work? Is there anything in between?
Old 09-18-2013, 02:23 PM
Deceased

Relays can "hang open" or "hang closed" because of an internal failure, you can check the offending relay with a VOM and a 12v power source(off the vehicle), but without my wiring diagrams in front of me....I can't honestly think of any interconnection between the systems.

How long ago was the collision, most auto policies have clauses to remedy "hidden damage" after the repairs, you may want to look into that and have it checked by your dealer or independent technician.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:06 PM
Platinum Member

Rear passenger side damage: I would be looking for some damage to the wiring in that area.
Sounds like you have a positive wire for the brake lights and one for the rear wiper that are shorting togeather. Apply voltage to one and both turn on.
I would take the interior trim panels out in the previously damaged area and inspect that wiring completely.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:39 PM

What do you mean by "but that relay also controls opening the rear door", is it an LS or a Panel? One relay, one job, they do not overlap. Very screwed up wiring.

Do the brake lights operate when you depress the brake pedal? I'm thinking that somebody crossed the wires between the 3rd brake light and the wiper.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:39 PM

What do you mean by "but that relay also controls opening the rear door", is it an LS or a Panel? One relay, one job, they do not overlap. Very screwed up wiring.
Do the brake lights operate when you depress the brake pedal? I'm thinking that somebody crossed the wires between the 3rd brake light and the wiper
It's an LS and I refer to the liftgate release when I said rear door. When I pull the relay for the rear wiper, the liftgate will not release until I put the relay back in. I don't know much about it, but was thinking the same thing "one relay, one job". I got out my diagram of the engine compartment fuse block. I will display it here. #17 is the "Rear Wiper" relay and #18 is the "Liftgate Release" relay. Hmmm, screwed up wiring doesn't sound too far off to me. To view the wiring you speak of, where should I begin to look? By the way, yes, the brake lights operate when I depress the pedal.

Name:  Capture_zpsa906d9c6.png
Views: 1087
Size:  11.7 KB
Old 09-19-2013, 10:59 AM

Its also possible to be a ground problem and the ground is just using the other circuit to complete its path....had a car that wouldnt crank over unless the brake was applied..turned out to be..of all things, the cig lighter ground...seeral other circuits were affected also....typical chrysler for you.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:03 AM

Chryslers ued to have a peculiarity that made possible to listen to the radio without the key at all. You could step on the brake pedal and turn on the E flashers and a turn signal, voila the radio would be energized.