Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

A/C Sporadically Cools

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 05:19 PM
Platinum Member

Fwiw. It takes mine about 3 miles/5 minutes to get up to operating temp. Hits around 193-197, then you see the temperature drop back to 178-180 as the thermostat opens. Then levels around 185-189 unless it's really hot outside or stopped in traffic. It will be a little hotter under those conditions.

I have been watching my temp numbers real close since having a small issue a few months ago.
My theory is the coolant heats up quicker around the temp sending unit. Thus it shows a little higher temp reading than the thermostat area. The sending unit will reach and display a higher temp before the thermostat sees 180 and opens.
At least, that's the way it appears.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:28 PM

My experience is about the same FMG, 4-5 minutes, driving. I haven't tested it sitting in the driveway until it warms up, though. I start it, pull forward about 20' (into the driveway), then sit for 10-20 seconds selecting music, and then go.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:33 PM

The computer uses an AlGoreithm to determine how fast before it sends an error.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:51 PM
Platinum Member

"AlGoreithm "

Does it factor in that climate change theory too ?
Old 06-15-2016, 07:36 PM

Yep!
Old 06-16-2016, 10:17 PM
JSK

Heheheheh - Global Warming notwithstanding (wait - data doesn't support that? ok... Climate Change then)

Climate Change notwithstanding, the compressor doesn't even kick in during its warm-up phase, and still no codes... it seems that even though the 199 temperature is higher than many, it might still be within normal parameters, no?

Donbrew - you da man! I watched that last night after you (promptly) posted, and today I removed the assy and put dielectric grease on each contact. All looked ok. A/C still no worky.

Chevy dealer can get me in tomorrow (Fri 6/17) for diagnostic check - $100. Or I can wait several days until my aforementioned Trusty Shop can get me in (they're squeezing a/c jobs in earlier than others).

Knowing how incompetent and wasteful Dealers usually are (avoiding remarks about parallels to Big Government), I am seriously leaning towards extra days of discomfort.
Old 06-17-2016, 07:11 AM

I would not pay $100 for any diagnostic without a guaranteed fix included. What are the afraid of?

Isn't half the mechanic's job figuring out what is broken?

They are not experts in the A/C field. Those kids went to the same school that the guy at Jiffy Lube went to.

That's like paying for an estimate from the most expensive guy in town, then going to the cheapest guy (who knows what he is doing and does not charge for estimates) for the repair to save $100 labor.
Old 06-17-2016, 03:21 PM
JSK

...good points on "half the job is figuring out what's wrong" etc. ... the only reason i even considered a dealer was my concern that the other shop might not have the capabilities of diagnosing potentially computer-related problems. But then I remembered that they said they can (and they also specialize in Saabs) so I leaned on over to canceling the GM appointment and will wait til EcoTech can squeeze me in.

...eh - it's only 92 today! (and i ain't talking octane)
Old 06-25-2016, 03:35 AM
JSK

...still waiting to get squeezed in... it's been in the upper 90's but at least the humidity drops below 80% when it gets that hot!
Old 07-13-2016, 02:26 AM
JSK

Obligatory Update: my Trusty EcoTech shop was NOT able to repair my a/c. They're thinking it's a problem in the computer (bcm?) and do not have a way to match a new one to the car. Rats.

I suppose I should replace the antifreeze with DexCool and thermostat to eliminate that as a possibility -- but why would the compressor actually cool on rare occasions? ...I guess mine is not to question why... if computer programs and AlGorythms are involved, there may be no discernible rhyme or reason, eh?

At least it hasn't gotten to 100 yet.

On a related note - after removing that fuse panel and greasing everything, my R headlight doesn't work, my brights don't work, and sometimes my horn doesn't work! hahahah - (gotta laugh, or I'd cry). When I press on the headlight fuse, the headlight lights up... I guess I'll take it all apart again and see if I can spot anomalies.

Sigh.

Trusty Shop wouldn't charge me anything. Again. And they diagnosed a bad strut for me. Good guys, even if they couldn't fix my a/c.

Quick Reply: A/C Sporadically Cools