Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

A/C Sporadically Cools

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 03:36 AM
JSK

Thanks gentlemen - and thanks donbrew for that schematic--you're always good for posting those!

...at least it seems that the assembly includes that module I was wondering about - will figure out which one to order after I test that fan. (I do know that the fan ran slowly when I let it warm up last summer)
Old 05-09-2017, 12:30 PM
JSK

SIGH -

I threw $130 at the fan/module assy with only 5 minutes of success (compressor spun for a few minutes then cycled sporadically again like it had been doing).

With bowed head I swallowed my pride and went to a Dreaded Dealership. Took 2 trips - they said it was empty, evacuated and filled but only worked for 5 minutes (as I discovered on my drive home). Round 2 they found pressure-sensor 13587668 was bad and called part number 88988301 a "connector" (but it looks like it's really a temperature sensor) - replaced while I waited, it works now but $520 sure hurts!!

Throwing money at parts RARELY works, does it.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:25 PM

I wish I had been here for the start of this. The first thing to do when the AC compressor doesn't run is to bypass the pressure switch. If the compressor runs and the ac cools with the switch bypassed, everything else is working. It means the problem is either the pressure switch or the refrigerant level is a little low so the low side pressure drops too low to keep the pressure switch activated. That is easy to check by connecting a gauge to the low pressure side. If it is low, there is no need to evacuate the system. As long as there was some pressure in the system, no air or moisture got in. A little added freon to get the low side pressure up to spec is all it takes. If it isn't low, it's easy to replace the pressure switch to see if the compressor works. It shouldn't take more than 15 minutes to diagnose.

I would go back to the dealer and get some money back.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:49 PM
JSK

thanks db - appreciate your concern and input. the story is spelled out from last year when I started the process of diagnosing. . . finally had to accept my limitations.

...would go back to dealer but it's more likely that James Comey gets another job at the White House than for me to get money back from the dealer! -- brrrump bum --