Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

A/C Stopped working and Lots of codes

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 07:34 AM

Did the "fuse thing" include relay #26?

There are also some related fuses in the BCM. And wiring behind the waterfall.
Old 06-26-2016, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Well I'm confused by some of your descriptions.
Resistors ?
ECT ?

As stated before, some codes will disable the AC. Unless you clear that code, (as Oldblue said, P0128 is one that disables AC function),the AC compressor will not engage.
Diode not resistor I'm sorry. (Under the hood you have 2 diodes, one for the wipers and one for the A/C. They are both the same diode) ECT engine coolant temperature sensor. I have cleared the codes 3 times with my snap on solus and they will not clear out at all. Every fuse has been pulled and checked with my vantage for continuity and all have checked good. I have switched all the relays around including #26. Still nothing. I am beginning to think maybe BCM (body control module) or ECM (electronic control module) issue. Just pulling my hair out on this one.
Old 06-26-2016, 10:51 AM

Does this cars codes require do be cleared using a GM tech2?
Old 06-26-2016, 11:15 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by tjsaudio
Does this cars codes require do be cleared using a GM tech2?
No. You can even clear the codes by disconnecting the battery.
Old 06-26-2016, 11:34 AM

What was the status of those codes? current? pending? historical?
Old 06-26-2016, 01:51 PM

Do you know how to use your Solus? Kind of sounds like you only know how to turn it on, that can be dangerous!

Almost any code reader can clear codes, but the codes are not the problem, they are the warning.

The reason they don't seem to clear is that the FAULT still exists.
Old 06-26-2016, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Do you know how to use your Solus? Kind of sounds like you only know how to turn it on, that can be dangerous!

Almost any code reader can clear codes, but the codes are not the problem, they are the warning.

The reason they don't seem to clear is that the FAULT still exists.
ASE and MECP and state certification. Yes I know how to use my solus. The reason that I am here is to see if anyone else here my have had the same problem that this car is having. So I can try to pinpoint the FAULT. Yes I am very clear that if the codes don't clear there is obviously a problem. That is why I have been trouble shooting this issue. I have been on my all data account to look for any tech bulletins on this issue. Which I have seen none. The amount of codes that is being presented for failed test at start up looks like is it more than a faulty part. With an ODBII the SES light should be on, which it is not. It does work it has been checked. The only other connection issue that I can see is some rust around the back left connection off the fuse box under the hood. I will clean that. Other than that nothing is touching exhaust, grounding out, cut, freyed, exposed ECT. The only other things I need to check is maybe a ground has came loose that I cannot see. Other than that, this is why I am thinking maybe a BCM or ECM problem. This is an issue that has been present is many GM vehicles for the last 20+ years. Just would rather not jump to that just in case I am overlooking something.
Old 06-26-2016, 04:16 PM
Platinum Member

Just a FYI.
That P0128 code you show will disable the AC. That code is usually caused by a bad(stuck open) thermostat. Normally that code is triggered because the engine is not reaching the desired temperature in the computers time parameter.
You stated the ECT was fine. Not sure what you mean since you didn't give any details or numbers on how you determined that.

Now granted, the P0128 could be a false code caused by some electrical or computer issue but that's hard to say.

Honestly, I think you may be trying to look too deep for the cause. Check the simple stuff first. A bad ground wire, thermostat or even battery issues may be all it is.
Old 06-26-2016, 06:55 PM

Nobody else has ever had the problem exactly as you stated it. So, I won't try asking any more question to narrow it down.

You have all of the training to figure it out. I'm just sitting here under my shade tree.

Strange this is the second ASE certificate this week to ask how to clear codes.
Old 07-01-2016, 09:32 PM

Well turned out to be a rusty connection that caused the codes. For the A/C it was just coincidence that it stopped working at this time. The codes could have been present for days for all I know. Doesn't matter. The coil is bad on the A/C pump. It has been pulled and part will be in at my vender Saturday. Even before I cleaned the connection I still had 12v+ to the A/C pump coil, with codes still present. And for the "Strange this is the second ASE certificate this week to ask how to clear codes".....I am fully aware of how to clear codes...if there is still a fault as I stated the codes will reoccur until the fault is fixed. That is a no brainer even for the shade tree mechanics. Yes I also changed the thermostat which checked out fine in 185*f water. And the ECT for kicks. And how did I check the ECT easy 2 ways my Vantage with the component test and two different temp water containers. Check old and new with same water see reading on solis and dash, both read exactly the same. All I have to say is all my other vehicles are Ford products, and so far for the HHR has done my shop and I great for the last 190,000 miles, and has been one of the best cars I have owned.

Quick Reply: A/C Stopped working and Lots of codes