Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Camshaft "Parking" Info

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by prod
I like to use a long ratchet extension, grip it around the end and put it to your ear. Works pretty well.
Yes sir that one works too. Basically any longish SOLID object can work.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:47 AM

I have stood there with the hood opened when the car was started and the sound seems to be in the area of where the VVT is located,which is why I was thinking it has something to do with the phasers themselves or the actuater not shuting down the way it's supposed to.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:27 AM

Interesting......by VVT, you mean?
Old 04-14-2012, 09:42 AM
Deceased

VVT = Variable Valve Timing.

Like Honda's vaunted and much misunderstood VTEC system, who can forget the masterful dialog in The Fast & The Furious..."Yo the VTEC's kicking in, yo". VVT enables the camshafts to be shifted slightly in order to change the valve timing events for more power at a given rpm and throttle position.

Plus it enables the use of E-85 in those model year HHR's classified as Flex-Fuel capable, burning "Corn" requires a change in valve event timing too.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:01 AM

It's 10 a.m. here and already I've "learn something new everyday". Mike, you would make a great GM representative!

Old 04-14-2012, 10:07 AM
Deceased

Well many, many, many moons ago, I was a lowly tech at a Chevy garage during law school.

Even though I haven't turned a wrench for money in 22 years, I still read up on everything like mad, and if I can share some knowledge that I've gained....I'm a happy camper.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by 843de
VVT = Variable Valve Timing.

Like Honda's vaunted and much misunderstood VTEC system,

Ours is nothing like Honda's. Our system ONLY advances and decreases each cam in relation to the other. Basically like adjustable cam sprockets but are able to be adjusted on the fly via the phasers.

Honda's actually incorperate a 3rd lobe per valve that has a much different profile and when this third lobe set is actuated, it acts like a completely different cam is being used. That is why their cars have a tiny hit of more power when the VTEC engages.

Ours are merely just moving the cams powerband up or down depending on the rpm of the engine. This can only move a little bit mind you. That is also why there is not HUGE HP differences between our non VVT 2.2's and our VVT 2.2's. The B18B non-vtec (90's motor mind you) and it's VTEC counterpart the B18C1 had 145hp vs 170hp then there was even a B18C5 (type R variant) that produce 195hp.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:52 AM
Deceased

I said "like" not the same as, its just that VTEC is a familiar concept thanks to all the "Fast & Furious" movies.

VVT is a compromise system with its own benefits and drawbacks, but a much more linear delivery of power wouldn't you agree.

VTEC engines have been frustrating me since the get go, its a case of "brain dead, brain dead, brain dead...then POWER!!!!!!" when the the cams shift.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:59 AM

Plus it enables the use of E-85 in those model year HHR's classified as Flex-Fuel capable, burning "Corn" requires a change in valve event timing too.
Mike, I do not think that the VVT has anything to do with "allowing" the use of E85. GM has had flexfuel full size trucks for a while and I do not believe that vvt is even an option on the V8's. So I do not think that the VVT has anything to do with being able to run E85. The L59 5.3L used form 2002-2007 certainly did not have VVT. Nor did the 4.3L vortec motors used in the Astro vans and S-10 pickups that also had flexfuel options. There are actually many cars/trucks pre 2007 that had flexfuel options but were not badged. VVT may HELP but I do not think it to be a neccessity.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:07 AM

I said "like" not the same as, its just that VTEC is a familiar concept thanks to all the "Fast & Furious" movies.

VVT is a compromise system with its own benefits and drawbacks, but a much more linear delivery of power wouldn't you agree.

VTEC engines have been frustrating me since the get go, its a case of "brain dead, brain dead, brain dead...then POWER!!!!!!" when the the cams shift.
But they are not alike in any way other then that they both alter the cam profile. How they do it is completely different and as such should be pointed out when referenced like you did. Someone may come on here later and read that statement and think that they are the same but they are not.

While agree that the VTEC on small engines is like you said, it is only that way in first or when putting around. When you are accelerating to freeway speeds you will be in VTEC thru the gears after first. Ours is more just a little bit of extra umph in most RPM's but is not a huge difference like theirs. Now V6 Honda motors have good power down low and incredible power up top.

Quick Reply: Camshaft "Parking" Info