Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Camshaft "Parking" Info

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 01:51 PM
Deceased

From GM....

"GM has led the industry in introducing flex-fuel capability to its cars and trucks, and the new flex-fuel 2.2L I-4 VVT (LE8) extends availability to an even broader range of customers. E85 is a clean-burning alternative fuel made in the United States from corn and other crops, composed of 85 percent ethanol alcohol and 15 percent gasoline. The 2.2L's flex-fuel technology is both sophisticated and durable and combined with Variable Valve Timing technology, it allows the customer to enjoy a full range of power and efficiency.

Flex fuel engines require special valves and valve seats to withstand the wear and corrosive effects of ethanol. The nitrided Silcrome 1 intake valves and 21-43 exhaust valves used in the 2.2L I-4 are up to the challenge. Compared to conventional iron-alloy valve material, nitrided Silcrome 1 includes tungsten, vanadium, manganese, silicone and higher chromium content. It is harder, and it improves durability, even under the rigors of ethanol operation. The 21-43 exhaust valves work equally well. Valve seat inserts have been upgraded to premium materials with a high percent of tool steel and solid lubricants resulting in excellent durability whether E85 or gasoline is run in the engine.

Hardware changes for flex-fuel operation are limited to the injectors. Because ethanol has fewer BTUs (less energy) than the same volume of gasoline, more fuel is required to produce the same horsepower at wide-open throttle. Flex fuel engines use unique stainless injectors with a greater cone angle and higher maximum fuel-flow rate. The fuel rail matches the injectors, but it's manufactured of the same stainless steel used for all 2.2L I-4 fuel rails.

The flex-fuel 2.2L doesn't require a special fuel sensor. The first flex-fuel engines used a light-reactive sensor to measure fuel composition from 100 percent gasoline to 85 percent ethanol. The 2.2L has a virtual sensor-software programmed in the E37 ECM with no separate physical sensor whatsoever. Based on readings from the oxygen (O2) sensors, fuel level sensor and vehicle speed sensors, the ECM adjusts the length of time the fuel injectors open for the type of fuel used. Within a few miles after filling up, the E37 controller determines what fuel is powering the 2.2L I-4 and manages the engine accordingly.

E85 fuel provides an environmentally friendly companion or alternative to gasoline. It is biodegradable and doesn't contaminate the water supply. Ethanol can be produced from various feed stocks, including corn and wheat stalks, forestry and agricultural waste, and even municipal waste."

Not trying to start or even continue an argument that may have been sparked in the slightest bit. So yes, VVT isn't a prerequisite of Flex-Fuel capability, but combined with other internal engine changes and ECM programming maps, it does help the E-85 capable HHR's maximize their functionality on either straight gas, E10, or E85.

So that being said, I'll just move on from this topic, sorry for any confusion I may have caused, or may cause in the future.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by 843de

So that being said, I'll just move on from this topic, sorry for any confusion I may have caused, or may cause in the future.
Mike - Please don't get hurt by my posts here. It is just a disscussion which is what forums are for correct? Like you, I turned wrenches for GM for a bit and like to stay knowledgable on current tech. We all share this knowledge and if one of us may be slightly off then others can help to put us back on course. When I post incorrect info I urge you to post the correct info so that I may learn from it and be able to better help in the future.

Robert

P.S. If you read earlier in the thread you corrected me on lifters vs followers terminology and I was able to utalize the correct terminology in my following post.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:17 PM
Deceased

Just didn't want it to turn into an argument Robert, sorry I was too sensitive and I do really appreciate your "course corrections" when I wander off the proper heading.

It has been one of "those" weeks and I do apologize for coming off sounding snarly and argumentative, every once and a great while, the stress of daily life sneaks into my posts and I really try to not let that happen.

You're a heck of a guy, and I appreciate your take on things.