Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Check engine light issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 09:47 PM

Check engine light issue

Hi everyone! New to the forum and need input. My check engine light is on in my 2006 Chevy hhr. Had the code checked and it comes back as P0113 Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Sensor Circuit High Voltage. I replaced the mass air flow sensor about 1000 miles ago, but the light still stays on. I had another code reading done with the same result. Any ideas would be appreciated, thank you!
Old 05-12-2012, 10:13 PM
Platinum Member

Did you have the code cleared after having it read the first time? Or has it remained on since the first reading?
Old 05-12-2012, 11:03 PM
Deceased

to the forum Rjtroup!

The functions of a traditional IAT are combined with the MAF in an HHR, and since you've already changed the MAF there are a few other things to check in addition to making sure the original code has been cleared....and that this is a new occurrence.

A recurring code P0113 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

Internally failed sensor
Faulty connection at the sensor
Open sensor ground circuit or signal circuit
Short to voltage in the sensor signal circuit or reference circuit
Sensor harness and/or wiring routed too close to high-voltage wiring
Faulty ECM (less likely but not impossible)

These diagnostic checks are really something you need a Scan tool to do properly, so you might think about taking you HHR to a qualified tech or your dealer.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:28 PM

I had the reading done at autozone and checker the first time it came on. After I replaced the maf sensor I disconnected the negative on the battery and te light went off for about a day then came back on. I was thinking to replace the connector that plugs into the maf next.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Rjtroup
I had the reading done at autozone and checker the first time it came on. After I replaced the maf sensor I disconnected the negative on the battery and te light went off for about a day then came back on. I was thinking to replace the connector that plugs into the maf next.
You were given great advice earlier about acquiring or renting a scan tester which you'll need to solve that code. It was also suggested that if you don't have a tester to take the truck to a service facility which does have one.

Yes, you can replace various parts on a trial and error basis. That can be a useful strategy only if either 1) you're lucky the first time or 2) the parts you replace are cheap.

Good luck.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:53 PM

I was unaware that that there is another type of scanning tool. Sorry I'm new to newer cars. I'm still used to my 86 k5 blazer. This is the first issue with my hhr in the 5 years. I've owned it. Thanks!
Old 05-16-2012, 09:12 PM
Premium Member

Unhappy Check Engine Light +

While out shopping last night the check engine light came on upon start-up in parking lot. With only 400 miles left on my extended warranty I was at the Chevrolet service center at 6:30 AM. While I was there I asked to have the sunshade checked. I had noticed that there seemed to be something hitting the shade when opening and closing. (entering in and exiting out of the headliner)

I had hoped the check light would be an easy fix but.. at 3:15PM the service manager called to tell me that they were still trying to figure out why the light would not turn off and the sunshade problem had not been solved. He stated that he had to contact Chevrolet concerning the check engine light and needed to keep the car overnight and they would tackle it again in the morning.

I don't know whether to be happy that the problem came up before the warranty ran out or be unhappy that it came up at all. Looking forward to the outcome tomorrow.

2009lt 2.2 47,600 miles
Old 05-17-2012, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by AceMan
While out shopping last night the check engine light came on upon start-up in parking lot. With only 400 miles left on my extended warranty I was at the Chevrolet service center at 6:30 AM. While I was there I asked to have the sunshade checked. I had noticed that there seemed to be something hitting the shade when opening and closing. (entering in and exiting out of the headliner)

I had hoped the check light would be an easy fix but.. at 3:15PM the service manager called to tell me that they were still trying to figure out why the light would not turn off and the sunshade problem had not been solved. He stated that he had to contact Chevrolet concerning the check engine light and needed to keep the car overnight and they would tackle it again in the morning.

I don't know whether to be happy that the problem came up before the warranty ran out or be unhappy that it came up at all. Looking forward to the outcome tomorrow.

2009lt 2.2 47,600 miles
I can understand how frustrating this can be for you. Please, let me know how things are going with your situation.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 05-17-2012, 05:32 PM
Premium Member

Service department called this afternoon. Said the problem was the Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid. I don't know why it was so hard to find that out. I believe there is a diagnostic code # for that.

Big deal is what ever was wrong with the sunshade seems to require a complete installation of a new sunroof. Does that sound plausible Michelle? The unit had to be ordered but they said they could have it finished by Monday eve or Tuesday morn. Seeing that I am in San Antonio, TX. and need to get back home to Illinois next week it should work out for me. As I stated previously I have only 400 miles left on the extended warranty so I should be counting my blessings that this all happened when it did.

They arranged a rental for me. I thought it would be nice to drive a different car for a change. It is a silver HHR and mine is black I asked if he had an SS but sadly no go.

I guess the story isn't over until I drive out of their service area next week with all problems corrected. I will keep all informed.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:08 PM

I once sent a Toyota Pickup to the Dealer to have a "Code Scan" done after an insurance repair was done, They did not get around to it after 8 days on their lot took it to the local auto parts store got a print out in 2 minutes, The body shop/accident had broken the MAF (on that car $300 for the part). All brands have problems! I was very surprised that they could not get a tech to charge the insurance company $79 for 2 minutes work, I did see my truck on the lot all 8 days.

Quick Reply: Check engine light issue