Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Check engine light issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 02:56 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by foolmoon_design
well one of those actuators should look shiny and new. if its the front, you need the back. If they both look grimmy, you got duped
It sounds like they replaced the exhaust solenoid by the part number they listed - when the code refers to the Intake one. So if that is the case, the shiny one will be the rear one(exhaust). The code refers to the front one (intake). And yeah, if they are both grimmy he did get duped.

I wonder if he also had the hard tranny shifting thing happening if it is an automatic?
Old 05-30-2012, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by AceMan
Well, 450 miles towards home the "check engine" light came back on. 275 miles down the road it went out then back on 200 miles later. Stopped at a Chevrolet dealer in Iowa on Saturday but they had no techs working. Napa was able to read code for me. It was the same as had came up earlier and supposedly fixed "Code P0010 Exhaust camshaft position actuator valve internal open" He cleared the code but light came back on a few miles later. (light has always come on after starting car- never while driving).

I will take it to Chevy dealer in my home area and hopefully they can narrow down and fix the problem.

Apparently the car will make a 1200 mile trip with a P0010 code problem.
Please, let me know how things go at the dealership today. This information will allow me to know if I need to take further action in working with you and the dealership to get this resolved.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 06-01-2012, 07:10 PM
Premium Member

update

Hopefully Whopper was right because they replaced the intake solenoid this time around. Maybe good for me that I have them both replaced under my extended warranty.(which is over now with 49200 miles)

If all goes well I will have to give the Service Dept. at Bill Stasek Chevrolet in Wheeling Il. an A1 rating. They were very professional yet friendly!!
Old 06-02-2012, 12:35 AM
Platinum Member

Hopefully Whopper was right because they replaced the intake solenoid this time around. Maybe good for me that I have them both replaced under my extended warranty.(which is over now with 49200 miles)

If all goes well I will have to give the Service Dept. at Bill Stasek Chevrolet in Wheeling Il. an A1 rating. They were very professional yet friendly!!
Going by the CEL code thrown, it sounds like they nailed it. Lets see how it runs in the next couple of days.

Here is a link on the process to replace the solenoids - up to date part numbers is down at the end of the thread -
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/camshaft-position-actuator-solenoid-valve-replacement-w-pics-p0010-11-p0013-14-a-28779/
Old 06-04-2012, 02:02 PM

I hope this has taken care of things. Please, let me know how things are going and I would be happy to complete a dealership compliment on your behalf.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 06-06-2012, 10:47 AM

I have a 06 HHR. My check engin light came about a year ago. Changed both solenoids and resently the check engin light came on again. I bought the parts on line at your reconmended site. Should I change the solenoids again or is there something else that could be wrong. I don't remember the original code, but there is the hard shifting again. Any suggestions?

P0010/11 refers to the INTAKE solenoid
P0013/14 refers to the EXHAUST solenoid

Part numbers: old/new
Exhaust 12628348 = 12646784
Intake 12628347 = 12646783
Old 06-06-2012, 12:40 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by mondocom
I have a 06 HHR. My check engin light came about a year ago. Changed both solenoids and resently the check engin light came on again. I bought the parts on line at your reconmended site. Should I change the solenoids again or is there something else that could be wrong. I don't remember the original code, but there is the hard shifting again. Any suggestions?

P0010/11 refers to the INTAKE solenoid
P0013/14 refers to the EXHAUST solenoid

Part numbers: old/new
Exhaust 12628348 = 12646784
Intake 12628347 = 12646783
??? Well, if you don't know what the code is that you are currently getting, why would you just start throwing parts at it hoping it is the right part for the code? Go get the codes read then come back with the results. Without the code, how can you expect us to guess what the problem is?
Old 06-06-2012, 03:30 PM
Deceased

to the forum mondocom!

Yeah, have your codes pulled and post 'em up here, the CEL you currently have may or may not be related to the earlier work, so you don't want to toss parts at it in hopes of a cure.

Advance, Autozone, Napa, O' Reilly, etc. will all pull your codes for free and give you printout of what their scan tool found.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:51 PM

I had the codes checked. P0303 (cylinder 3 misfire detected) and P0442 (EVAP system small leak detected).
I will replace the gas cap, but the other is the same original code. Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Old 06-09-2012, 02:32 PM
Platinum Member

Well, it has nothing to do with the solenoids, but a simple search on the web pointed to this great site for diagnosing CEL codes: http://www.obd-codes.com/p0303

Start with the simple stuff first (one at a time of course):
1) check/swap spark plugs between cylinders to see if the problem moves or just replace them all if they have high mileage on them
2) swap coil packs between cylinders to see if the problem moves
3) check electrical connection at the O2 sensors
4) swap injector between cylinders to see if the problem moves

Quick Reply: Check engine light issue