Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Chevy HHR Clock Spring

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 01:50 AM

Chevy HHR Clock Spring

Hello, it's been a while but I am back. Every time I get my 2006 HHR LT out for winter(this car is, my winter beater). I am already having a problem with it this year. Started out with the left signal not canceling. So I researched it and thought it was the turn signal stalk. I bought a brand new one and installed it and not to my surprise with the luck that I have with this car not only will be left signal not cancel, but now the right signal won't cancel. Before this happened, I turned the steering wheel and I heard something break inside of the column. When that happened, neither left or right signal would cancel. So I took the stalk back out and I looked inside where the stalk goes and I can see a black piece of plastic spinning freely around the column. I can stick my finger in there and actually move it. I am assuming that something either broke or separated in there. So I researched that and sadly I'm not finding much about my car about this problem. I am though finding similar problems with other GM vehicles about this part called the clock spring? Can anyone tell me if this is what is wrong with my car and needs to be replaced? I watched several YouTube videos and unfortunately not one video tells a symptoms of turn signals failing. If somebody could tell me why there is something spinning freely inside of my steering column where the turn signal stalk goes that would be great. Remember my problem is not the stalk. I have a brand new one in there currently. Thank you in advance for anyone that responds. I will do my best to respond back to whoever helps me. Thank you for your time.
Old 10-23-2018, 03:25 AM

Chevy HHR Clock Spring

Hello, I have a similar thread that I started about clock springs. My question is: Does the clock spring have anything to do with the turn signals cancelling? I see at the end of the turn signal stalk there is that little white piece of plastic that looks like it goes inside of the clock spring. Correct me if I'm wrong but when you turn the steering wheel, does the clock spring cancel your turn signals? If anybody has the answer I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance for anybody that response.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:03 AM
Technical Moderator

The clock spring is the electrical connections for the horn and airbag, the things that turn with the steering wheel.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:21 AM
Platinum Member

Shojay92 - this thread is being merged with your other post for the same issue. Please post only once regarding the same question/issue.
And this thread has been moved to the more appropriate section, and retitled.

To further clarify the issue, no, the clockspring does not have anything to do with the turn signal cancelling - cancelling is all mechanical.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
The clock spring is the electrical connections for the horn and airbag, the things that turn with the steering wheel.
Hi Don:) thanks for the reply. Ok I see so my question is: what does that little white piece of plastic that comes out of my turn signal stalk catch onto in the steering column that cancels the turn signals ?
Old 10-23-2018, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by whopper
Shojay92 - this thread is being merged with your other post for the same issue. Please post only once regarding the same question/issue.
And this thread has been moved to the more appropriate section, and retitled.

To further clarify the issue, no, the clockspring does not have anything to do with the turn signal cancelling - cancelling is all mechanical.
Hi thank you for the reply. So my question what makes the signal cancel? Meaning there has to be something in the column that the little white piece of plastic catches on to make the signal cancel. The white piece of plastic I'm talking about it the piece that is coming out of the turn signal stalk
Old 10-23-2018, 02:05 PM
Administrator

Old 10-23-2018, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Yes I've looked at those pictures:) what is that piece called? I may need to replace it
Old 10-23-2018, 02:32 PM
Technical Moderator

I don't think that part was ever sold individually. Only recently they made the steering angle sensor available separate from the column. H'mmm, maybe there is a tab on the coil, you would have to take it out and look, not difficult.

Old 10-23-2018, 07:07 PM

Yeah I went to my local auto parts store and they didn't know either. I will have to take the steering wheel off and see what's going on. I'm sure the huge secret will be revealed