Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

CV Axle wobble

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 08:04 PM

Unhappy CV Axle wobble

Can anyone help with this problem. I have seem a few post of people with the same issue but no fixes or replies. 07 hhr ls new frt wheel bearings and both axles . axles have movement up and down and side to side at the trans. is this just a seal that holds it still . Seal is not leaking so there has to be something else that keeps it still . Is the a bearing behind the seal . If so is this easy to do . If you grab the axle at the trans housing you can move it up and down and side to side. Im not talking about in and out movement . Thanks
Old 09-26-2015, 08:15 PM

Movement of the inner axle joint is normal. There is a bushing just inside the housing but they don't fail very often.

If it's not leaking its fine if your looking for a noise or other problem the loose axle feeling is not the problem.
Old 09-27-2015, 03:10 AM

wobble

i have about 218 K on the car. Im gonna look into this . I think that may solve the wobble i feel. Its almost like an out of balance tire but im sure the wobble is from the movement where the axle goes into the trans. I did both wheel bearing and new axles . After the new axles went in it was a little better for a day or two ( due to the stiffness of the new axles ) but went right back to the vibration . Thanks for the info . i will reply if this solves this problem. trying to keep her on the road another year or two. shes my daily driver
Old 09-27-2015, 07:34 AM
Administrator

Then double check your lower control arm bushings, they can look normal but the rubber bushing can deteriorate and separate from the metal bushing in the middle, this can cause a loose wobble shake in the front end the on on the right is the old GM bushing, the one on the left is a Moog K200792 Problem Solver bushing/bearing, they tightened my front end up , no more shake. This part fits the cast aluminum LCA on LS and LT models , Moog lists it for the Cobalt but not the HHR, for some reason
Attached Thumbnails CV Axle wobble-image.jpeg  
Old 09-27-2015, 08:33 AM
Deceased

X2 on the LCA bushings.

The inner CV Joints, which is actually a misnomer, since they are properly called Tripod Joints, seldom fail.

And the in/out motion is normal due to the need for the half-shaft's effective length to change as the suspension travels up and down over bumps.

Without the ability of the Tripod Joints to plunge in and out, the suspension would be in an almost constant bind.

A failing Tripod Joint will usually give itself away as an unexplained "Driveline Snatch", or there can be an audible "clang or ping" just like you'd hear on a RWD U-Joint as it fails.

With thanks to our Advertising Partners at Autozone, here's an inner Tripod Joint in all its glory for those who've never dissected one.