Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

dashboard lights not working

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 09:53 AM

If the bubble thinks it's daylight, the dash lights will dim. Whether the headlights are on manual or auto is irrelevant. I've never seen an easier(or cheaper) diagnostic test than simply covering a sensor. Is the car so far away that you cannot do this?
Old 02-02-2017, 09:56 AM

Funny thing, I work at a GM dealership and went to parts to get a price on the dimmer. My cost was about double the one on the link, AND they say it will take 3 - 4 days to get in. I'll bet that I get the one from ebay in less time.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:01 AM
Platinum Member

Actually. The dash lights get brighter when the bubble sensor detects daylight. They dim for night.

I see this because I go through the I10 tunnel in the area all the time. When I come out of the tunnel, the RPD unit will be too dim to see until the sensor flips it back to daylight(brighter) mode.
Usually takes it about a 1/4 mile or so.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
If the bubble thinks it's daylight, the dash lights will dim. Whether the headlights are on manual or auto is irrelevant. I've never seen an easier(or cheaper) diagnostic test than simply covering a sensor. Is the car so far away that you cannot do this?
Just tried. I put a rag over the bubble. The headlights came on, the dash lights came on for a couple of seconds and went back off.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
What has to do with the headlights, I thought we were talking about the dash lights.
We are..... the only lights that are on inside the car is the backlight for the IP (speedo, tach, fuel, temp) and the backlight for the radio display (not buttons), covering the bubble causes the headlamps to come on and the rest of the dash lights to come on momentarily.
I have no issue seeing the IP day or night, it's the radio, HVAC, turbo boost, overhead LED light (lights the shifter are) that I can't see at night.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:16 AM
Administrator

And patiently we wait. Anybody play euchre? Canasta? We got a few days till the new dimmer switch shows up.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:46 AM

Then it sounds like $10 is getting spent.

We were typing at the same time, I deleted a message. Just a note so nobody gets too confused.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Actually. The dash lights get brighter when the bubble sensor detects daylight. They dim for night.

I see this because I go through the I10 tunnel in the area all the time. When I come out of the tunnel, the RPD unit will be too dim to see until the sensor flips it back to daylight(brighter) mode.
Usually takes it about a 1/4 mile or so.
Hmmm... Just went out and started the car, in the dark, dimmer set to bright, but not dome lights on.

dashboard lights not working-dark-outside.jpg

Then I put a bright light on the sensor, after about 15 seconds, most of the dash lights went out.

dashboard lights not working-light-outside.jpg

Interesting that even the DRL's went off. Headlight switch was in 'Auto'.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
Hmmm... Just went out and started the car, in the dark, dimmer set to bright, but not dome lights on.

Attachment 20813

Then I put a bright light on the sensor, after about 15 seconds, most of the dash lights went out.

Attachment 20814

Interesting that even the DRL's went off. Headlight switch was in 'Auto'.
In your upper photo, this is what mine looks like at night for about 2 seconds, then everything goes out EXCEPT the back lights in the IP (upper left side of photo) and the radio display (aux input, clock) all the other go out.
Interesting that your IP lights went out when you put a bright light on the bubble, mine stay on all of the time, and will not change with the dimmer.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:59 AM

I think I counted at least 4 combinations on my 2008 LT, never worried about it on the 2011 LT.

MSRP for the part is $31, discounted internet price is $17. + shipping. The ones I saw (for 2009) on eBay start at $21 free shipping.

Be sure to get the right one, some years don't have the dome switch.

Quick Reply: dashboard lights not working