Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Disable alarm system

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 06:14 AM

Question Disable alarm system

OK, I posted this question last year and there seems to be no way to disable the alarm system...does anyone know a way or has cut a wire somewhere to disable the alarm and still have the horn to work? I am just freaking tired of carrying the remote in my pocket!!!! THANKS
Old 06-23-2009, 07:11 AM
Banned

Lock the door with the switch on the driver's door. Unlock with key. You can even lock the doors and arm the system with the remote and STILL unlock the car and disarm the alarm with the key.

You can also use the lock knob to lock the driver's door and it won't arm the system.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:56 PM

You can take this a step further if you like. In the picture below on the left of the rule is an old F O R D factory key and what I did to make it smaller for the pocket. On the right of the rule is the factory HHR key and “chip” with all the plastic removed. Last is another key(valet) for size with its plastic removed as well. I haven’t completed this project yet.

Edit: Opps, forgot to add - that little chip must be present to start the vehicle.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:53 PM

Your car came w/ an alarm? Was that an extra option? I only got the panic button. lol
Old 06-24-2009, 05:56 AM

hhrcrafty, I still want to lock the doors with the power door lock button on my door and open the door with the key and not have to be in a big hurry to put the key in ignition before the alarm goes off! What do I do or modify to be able to do this...plus I do not want to carry the remote. Anyone have an idea how to do this. THANKS
Old 06-24-2009, 06:10 AM

I guess I miss the point. People kill themselves to add remote control to vehicles and you find it too much to carry something that is only a few inches big for the ease it gives?

If you unlock the door with the key you have a timer running to get the key in the lock??
Old 06-24-2009, 08:02 AM

My pants are full already...HA HA HA... I just don't want to carry the dang thing!
And if I remember right the horn starts chirping just as soon as I open the door with the key.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:42 AM

Leave the keys in the car and just carry the remote. Thats what I do.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:05 AM

From my understanding, if you lock it with the key and open with the key you don't get any chirping or alarm.

I've never tried it, but then again I prefer to not use the key near the lock.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty
Lock the door with the switch on the driver's door. Unlock with key. You can even lock the doors and arm the system with the remote and STILL unlock the car and disarm the alarm with the key.

You can also use the lock knob to lock the driver's door and it won't arm the system.
To elaborate on the above.

My 2009 operates as follows:

To exit vehicle.
1 Open door to get out of the vehicle.

2 Press the manual door lock button located next to the internal door handle twice, yes twice. Upon the second press my vehicle makes three tones. Door lock plungers go down signifying the locking mechanism in the doors has activated.
Note: If you use the key to lock the door, only the drivers door is locked. This might be OK depending upon how you have the DIC programmed.

3 Close door. The vehicle is now locked.

To enter vehicle.
1 Use key in drivers door external key slot to unlock door. Remove key.

2 Use external drivers door handle to open door and enter vehicle.

3 Sit down and start engine - drive away.

Except for the three tones upon pushing the lock button twice there are NO warnings, lights or buzzers during this whole process. If there are in your vehicle, then the model year is different or some prior owner or dealer put in an after market system. When I first got my vehicle I uninstalled the dealers anti theft alarm.

Quick Reply: Disable alarm system