Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Disable alarm system

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 12:31 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by modestohhrclub
Why do you want to disable the alarm in the first place?... are you trying to get it stolen?
He wants his alarm armed, but for whatever reason doesn't want to carry a key fob.

The alarm is controlled through the BCM and CAN'T be changed. There is no rewiring, snipping or reconfiguring that is possible. It is what it is.

Sunset you can:

1) Use one of the suggestions in the thread.
2) Get bigger pants or bigger pockets (if that is why you don't like the fob).
3) Leave it unlocked.

Last edited by ChevyMgr; 07-07-2009 at 06:28 PM.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:45 AM

I am just freaking tired of carrying the remote in my pocket!!!!
I really am not interested in arming the system... I just want to lock it with the power door lock and get back in without the alarm going off!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe I will just remove the horn relay...who needs a horn anyway!!!!
Old 07-08-2009, 10:48 AM

Ok, what if you disabled the "Door Closed" sensors. ChevyMgr may have some input on the wiring diagram and where best to either open of short the wires.

I "believe" the "Door Closed" sensors are part of the lock and not any "plunger" switch as in years past. Nope, just checked the plungers are still used on my 2009.

Without the BCM "knowing" the doors are closed it may not arm. Just a thought.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:43 AM

Same deal

I have the same issue as Big Kahuna. I've done the usual repairs and cleaning off the contacts, new battery and the trusty tin foil trick. I just want to open the car door with out the alarm popping off using the key. It is a 2006 LT.
Old 09-28-2015, 01:31 PM
Platinum Member

"Originally Posted by an08HHR

I think if you use the key to lock it and not the interior lock button, then the alarm won't go off when you unlock it with the key."

Have you checked the remotes for the infamous broken solder joint? https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...-repair-22641/
Old 10-07-2015, 03:23 PM

It must be some sort of security problem...can it be reset, or does it need repair?

I have a 2006 Chevy HHR. One day, about a two years ago, the key got stuck in the ignition and wouldn't come out. I read the owners manual and found that there was a reset button inside the steering column, so I found that, and got the key out. After that incident, my car would randomly start beeping it's horn and the hazard lights would flash at different times while my car was sitting in the driveway. It happened late at night one night, so my husband removed the fuse that controls the horn. Ive driven it this way ever since then. With no horn, and using the key rlease button in the steering column. The thing that keeps happening is that when I lock the car, then use the key to unlock the car, the car starts flashing its hazard lights as if someone is breaking into it. Is there any way to fix this? I think its a security problem.

Originally Posted by whopper
"Originally Posted by an08HHR

I think if you use the key to lock it and not the interior lock button, then the alarm won't go off when you unlock it with the key."

Have you checked the remotes for the infamous broken solder joint? https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...-repair-22641/
Old 10-07-2015, 06:29 PM
Administrator

Your dealer or a lock smith could check your BCM programs to ensure that it is working properly as I said in your other post about this same issue have your shifter checked I believe it is the cause of your stuck in the ignition key problem is, I recommend seeing your dealer and have your VIN checked there was a known issue with the shifter
Old 10-07-2015, 07:15 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by debnog
I have a 2006 Chevy HHR. One day, about a two years ago, the key got stuck in the ignition and wouldn't come out. I read the owners manual and found that there was a reset button inside the steering column, so I found that, and got the key out. After that incident, my car would randomly start beeping it's horn and the hazard lights would flash at different times while my car was sitting in the driveway. It happened late at night one night, so my husband removed the fuse that controls the horn. Ive driven it this way ever since then. With no horn, and using the key rlease button in the steering column. The thing that keeps happening is that when I lock the car, then use the key to unlock the car, the car starts flashing its hazard lights as if someone is breaking into it. Is there any way to fix this? I think its a security problem.
This is posted elsewhere - please don't double-post, as it just causes confusion and wasted responses. this OLD thread is now closed.