Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Door lock and alarm system

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 04:45 PM

Door lock and alarm system

I just bought my first HHR (2006 HHR LS) and I had a couple of questions.

1) When I unlock the car with the key the alarm system does not seem to deactivate. As soon as the door is opened the horn start to honk every second until I put the ignition in the on position. If I used the FOB to unlock the car I don't have this issue. What could cause this problem? (P.S. This happens with the key that I got cut from GM through the VIN Number).

2) With my old car when I unlocked the door with the key and held the key in the unlock position for 3 seconds it would unlock all of the doors on the car. Does the HHR do this? Is there a way to unlock all of the doors on the car with the key?
Old 03-09-2014, 06:01 PM
Banned

Aboard!

1. I think the Chip in your key wasn't programmed to the car?

2. Short Answer. No.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:05 PM

1) If the key was not programmed right would it still start the car?

2) Bummer.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:35 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome to the site.

Why are you unlocking with the key and not the remote fob?
If you lock it with the fob, then you need to unlock with the fob to deactivate the security. Unlocking with the key won't deactivate it until you insert the key in the ignition and turn it on.
One push on the fob unlock does the drivers door. A second push within 2 secs. unlocks the others.
The answer to your second question is no and no. Not with the key.

Pretty sure most of this is covered in the owners manual. If you don't have a manual, we have them on this site FREE for download. They're under the General HHR section.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:22 PM
Platinum Member

x2 what firemangeorge says. You got to read your manual, as the car has a lot of rather unique features from the door locks, wipers etc..
Old 03-10-2014, 12:19 AM

Welcome to the site

X3. The key will not turn off the alarm. The older cars had a switch attached the the door key cyl that would turn off the alarm when the key cyl turned to unlock the door.

Our hhr's do not have this switch on the key cyl. I don't know why they stopped using this switch but I would guess it was a cost saving thing.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:11 AM
Deceased

Here's a trick to try, lock the door with the key not the power lock button, then open the door with the key....the horn should stay blissfully quiet.

If it doesn't work the first time, unlock all the doors, then lock each door manually and then lock the driver's door with the key. Then try unlocking the driver's door with the key, the horn should remain silent.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:54 AM

Thanks for the help.

To answer firemangeorge question. My wife owns the car and has the fob. I just drive it when we are together and don't really have a desire to carry around a fob for her car. So when I am driving the car I lock the door through the power lock button and then unlock it with the key.

This is not a big deal, but the originally key that came with the car (the one I have) has a hard time getting the cylinders in the ignition to line up. So you have to giggle the key and move the steering wheel around to get it to turn to the on position (they key we had cut from the vin number works fine, so we just need to make time to get a couple copies of that key made). So every time I get into the car I feel like I am stealing the thing cause the alarm system is going off while I am fiddling around with the ignition to find the sweet spot.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Redcherries22
Thanks for the help.

To answer firemangeorge question. My wife owns the car and has the fob. I just drive it when we are together and don't really have a desire to carry around a fob for her car. So when I am driving the car I lock the door through the power lock button and then unlock it with the key.

This is not a big deal, but the originally key that came with the car (the one I have) has a hard time getting the cylinders in the ignition to line up. So you have to giggle the key and move the steering wheel around to get it to turn to the on position (they key we had cut from the vin number works fine, so we just need to make time to get a couple copies of that key made). So every time I get into the car I feel like I am stealing the thing cause the alarm system is going off while I am fiddling around with the ignition to find the sweet spot.
If the other key is working..... you need to spring for a new extra key yours is worn out. The good news is that once you get the new key you can program it yourself. A lock smith should be able to supply the correct blank with a chip in it and cut it from your wifes good one.

My local Buick dealer quoted $45 to cut from VIN complete.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Redcherries22
Thanks for the help.

Hey Redcherries22,

Glad to see that you have been receiving some great advice! Welcome to the forum :). Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any more questions.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care