Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Dorman FOB and Programmer

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 12:58 PM

Smile

There is am alarm horn under the hood. Both horns do not stop after 2 minutes, it took 5 minutes for it to stop, I was sitting in the parking lot reading the book. Strange no one passing by said a word.
I tried the open / close button for the door - and putting the key in/ starting - no good - kept blowing the horns.

After the horn stopped - when I started the car the car horn started again - so I pulled the fuse and removed the horn wire.

Waiting on Dorman's response before I send it back.

I picked up the car from Chevy 2 days after it was delivered and have had it ever since.

I didn't order any non Chevy items, so if the dealer put it in he paid for it. (been there - done that - never do it again)

I really can't complain - it's been the best new car I've had. (usual junk - moon roof deflector, shift solenoid, sway bar, fan, thermostat - not bad for 12 years)
Old 12-08-2017, 01:44 PM
Platinum Member

HHR's, 2006-2011, only had 1 horn from the factory when new.

2006 wiring diagram for the horn circuit.

Old 12-08-2017, 02:31 PM
Technical Moderator

Do you have a strange looking piece of metal mounted in the driver side rear qtr window? Maybe you have the 2-way remote.

I have never heard of an HHR with 2 horns from the factory.

If yours came from the factory like that it must be a one of. Perhaps the dealer didn't know what was installed at the factory and thought he had to dealer install.

What is the part number on your original remote?

Is there a plunger type switch mounted under the hood.

History of elves installing after market equipment in the middle of the night?

Last edited by donbrew; 12-08-2017 at 03:08 PM.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:00 PM

KEY FOB # GM/L:15114374

NOTHING EXTRA STATED ON THE INVOICE.

Chevy wants 125 for the Fob and 65 to program it. Maybe 2 tubes of grease... That price is why I do all my own work.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:25 PM
Technical Moderator

You can get the fob from eBay for about $35 and get a locksmith to program it. But $65 at a dealer is good price.

Here is a clone for $7 https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Button-Ke...5XKGDz&vxp=mtr

There are also a lot of repair options.
Here is one OEM for $40 https://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-15114374...pZXpOJ&vxp=mtr
Old 12-08-2017, 10:53 PM
Platinum Member

It may not be a Dorman problem - it sounds to me like it's an aftermarket alarm that has been installed, and if it has gone defective (I've seen that before on my cars and motorcycles) it might be the source of the problem. The aftermarket alarm is likely wired into the car to interface with the door locks and the built in security system.

Can you disconnect that security alarm horn? If it is not attached to another black box the horn itself likely contains all the circuity for it's alarm features (like the Audiovox systems that were fairly popular years ago).
Old 12-09-2017, 10:59 AM

It's a Chevy key fob.

Since the car has been so trouble free , except for the minor junk , I never had to pull any thing apart.

I have the second horn disconnected ( drove home that way) - still have issues if I don't use the remote I fixed.

Monday 8 am at Chevy. Friends told me to use Never Seize when I go ,,,, it will hurt less.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:13 PM

Went to Chevy tis morning and had the Dorman key fob and a new key fob from Chevy programed. The Dorman cost the same as the Chevy, + now the programming fee.. The teck also had an issue programing the new keys...

2 tubes of never seize needed....

I love my 1980 truck $2.50 for a new key....
Old 12-11-2017, 01:27 PM
Technical Moderator

Programming new keys? You don't have an Owner Manual? The 2 things have nothing to do with each other. The keys are done without the aid of a computer.

The only problem might be that you have exceeded the number of lifetime keys that the ant-theft module can support.

You don't seem to read my suggestions so I don't really know why I'm typing.

If they charged you to program the key they did it out of spite, while laughing at the clown that can't read the Owner Manual. New keys cut to your VIN shouldn't cost $25. You should have got 2 new keys with the ignition recall 2 years ago.

Anybody that willingly pays GM labor prices for anything but warranty work is crazy in my book.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:47 PM

I did read the reply's.
I needed a second key fob for the car. (and since I could not shut off the alarm without it, I was in a bind)
The Tech had issues programing the Fobs, he had to get a second code reader pad (?) and plug it in. He then had to reset all three fobs. Mine was working since I made the repair, drove to Chevy this morning - but stopped working when he made the first attempt at programing the fobs.. He programed the original repaired, Dorman and new Chevy fobs. They all work as designed, remote start and all. They only charged me for 1.

He at first tried to show me how to turn off the alarm when using the key. He tried unsuccessfully 5 times and said sometimes it doesn't work. (epically on the 06)

The tech also said the Dorman Programmer is hit and miss on the 06 and 07, but usually works on the later years.

I shouldn't' really complain but I don't really like the cost of repairs for "high tech" stuff that is not really needed in a vehicle.

Quick Reply: Dorman FOB and Programmer