Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Elusive Radio Reception Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 09:37 PM

Question Elusive Radio Reception Problem

Hi everyone, new to the forum, made a few posts not much.

I've got a kinda common problem here maybe, The radio reception sucks! Now I've searched the threads, and see a few posts but nothing in the way of resolving those issues.

I had bought my HHR used and I was thinking the original radio sucked for reception, so I did some research before I found this problem.

I know a little bit about radio waves, frequencies, and how long antennas need to be. So I bought the most sensitive radio I could find and it was a Sony with 8dbf sensitivity rating (at the time I was shopping) And I have compared to my buddies radios, a JVC with a horrible 12dbf, and a Dual with 10dbf ratings, and these radio kicked mines butt in terms of reception.

So I've seen some posts about an antenna amplifier which is powered by one of the leads on the radio, IS THIS TRUE??? I have torn my head liner out and looked at the coax going to the antenna and it looks fine, as well as traced it as far back as I can, where is this amplifier if it exists?

Or if it does not, what can the issue be? Any ideas? I've even put a LONGER antenna on just to see, and it still sucked! I have double, triple checked my connections, wires, etc......I'm about to give up!

Thanks to anyone who can share!
Old 01-06-2012, 06:45 PM

155 views and not a single person knows? Come on I cant be the only one with this problem?
Old 01-06-2012, 07:40 PM

You might not be getting any replies, because we don't know what kind of factory unit was in your car, such as standard or was it the pioneer upgraded system. If you have the sub woofer in the back the amp is right next to it behind the panels. I'm not sure if the attena is amped or not, but that is where the amp is.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:37 PM

Well the stereo "sound" amp is different from the Antenna amp, totally different if one even exists. I had the stock non pioneer stereo.

This much I do know.
There's two different types of antennas, passive and active, passive is just a coax or lead going to the antenna. Active has an amplifier between the radio and the antenna. I have seen on some peoples posts that the HHR uses a Active antenna setup. But they might be confusing that with the actual "sound" amplifier.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:44 PM

Well I don't know much about it, just trying to help since no one has replied with anything for you. I just thought since everything is ran from the head unit in these cars for sound, that the amp there may also be used for the antenna.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:49 PM

The HHR stock radio when used in the radio mode supplies the antenna amplifier with power. The amplifier is located with the antenna base. If the OP is using the stock antenna without powering the antenna amplifier it would explain his/her reception problems. According to my 2009 FSM it is a pink wire – I don’t know the voltage to the antenna amplifier; it could be 12 or 5 VDC.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:01 PM

Thank you! So im wondering if I take the base off and can modify or take out the amp so that the antenna is paasive my radio problem would be solved?
Old 01-07-2012, 08:04 PM

Don’t know about “solved”.

You say you have had the headliner out and saw a coax wire, did you not see another wire also going into the base of the antenna? If not, it sounds like a previous owner may have already modified things into a “cluster”. OR the 2006 is different from my 2009.

Personally I would try powering the antenna full time OR look at the installation manual for your radio.

See this very recent thread:
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/audio-video-17/original-antenna-radio-display-dimmer-38697/
Ask the OP to see if he can supply you with the correct voltage.

Jerry rigging up another antenna with a new cable into the radio could isolate your problem. I add this because you seem to be having the same problem with two different radios – bad reception.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:17 PM

Something that I would look for would be a pinched coax. This would be a PITA to check but if it is pinched, it would compromise your reception drastically. The radio itself would be the last place to look IMO. Todays radios (even the cheap ones) are vastly superior to radios of just 20 years ago. That being said, if you could temporarily install another similar radio, that would remove it from the list of possible faults. Or hook another antenna to your radio, a cheap Auto Zone, Advanced Auto or Radio Shack will do. Don't worry about grounding, all you are looking for is a difference in reception.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:56 PM

Got one more thought for you to check on. You said you purchased the HHR used. Is it possible that the previous owner installed a stubby antenna? They don't have nearly the sensativity that the stock "fishing pole" (long) antennas have.
I tried to see in your great pics, but can't really tell?

Quick Reply: Elusive Radio Reception Problem