Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Elusive Radio Reception Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 11:09 PM
Technical Moderator

It didn't come with directions or a web site? Probably is for the ant amp, they should use a relay for up n' down not constant power.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by budzy
Thanks as I never hooked any power to the antenna so maybe that is my problem. Didn't know it was powered. If I knewthe voltage and find the wire it may solve my problem. On the radio it has a wire for antenna which I assume it is for the up and down operation. If it would take 12v I could use that if I find the wire. Thanks
My 2009 FSM says it is indeed the pink wire and that it needs "battery" voltage. Battery to me means 12VDC, however the FSM never does call out for 12VDC specifically.

Quote from page 8-36 in 2009 FSM:
“AM reception is highly dependent on the powered antenna receiving battery voltage from the radio. The powered antenna has a built in antenna amplifier that boosts both AM and FM reception. When the powered antenna no longer receives power, the radio will still receive FM stations and loose all AM stations.”
Old 10-14-2013, 06:39 PM

Smile Final Chapter

So haveing a new radio with 1 good station was really disapointing. This was a Eonon GPS, DVD Back up Camera Etc. Their manual was good on what wires were what so the real problem was what wires were what on the car. Reading a list of the color of wire for the HHR came close but not exact. The 8 needed speakers wires 6 were the right color. But they went into both of the connectors but were taped in pairs. I used the battery trick to identify them. Power wire was good as well as the ingnition wire. So I bought a in line antenna 12v power booster. Thought that might work but no deal. Then there was the post that they put a power booster in the antenna so they can use the shorter antenna. Now that may solve my problem. After reading another post of what voltage it would be and what would the color of the wire. So today I took the front off again which I am really good at. Found a pink wire in the car and hooked the a wire up from the radio that feeds a power antenna so it will come on with the radio. An WALA now about 25 FM stations and about 10 desent AM stations. Better then the factory radio. And the credit goes to all the people willing to take time to read and post what ever they know. Thanks to eveyone. !!
Old 10-15-2013, 02:43 PM

I just skimmed this thread so I hope I'm not repeating what somebody already mentioned: is there an accessory in your 12v dash outlet? Cuz when I plug in a charger cable e.g. cell phone, bluetooth, my radio reception goes south. Unplug the charger and radio comes back!
Old 11-22-2013, 01:56 PM

Hi ,
I have a 2006 LS with the pioneer system and having reception problems.
I can pick up one local FM station , nothing else.
I checked the fuses , everything looks good.
Where is the antenna amplifier located?
Any other areas to trouble shoot this problem?

Thanks for the help
Bill
Old 11-22-2013, 05:57 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by BillRodgers
Hi ,
I have a 2006 LS with the pioneer system and having reception problems.
I can pick up one local FM station , nothing else.
I checked the fuses , everything looks good.
Where is the antenna amplifier located?
Any other areas to trouble shoot this problem?

Thanks for the help
Bill
Read post #6 in this very thread.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:26 PM

Thanks , missed that post.
Do you just have to pull down the head liner down to expose the bolt for the antenna base? or do you have to take the visors out?

Bill
Old 11-22-2013, 08:41 PM
Technical Moderator

Theoretically you have to remove the visors, remove the coat hangers, remove the post covers (4), remove the rear side panels, I may have forgotten a piece or 2, then pull the headliner out (it is on semi-rigid piece).

A good place to get an idea of the placement of parts is any GM online parts site, like gmpartseast.com or nalleygmc.com there are quite a few. Look for your part and in most cases there will be illustrations.
Old 11-23-2013, 01:05 PM

Like many, my 2008 HHR has virtually no stations coming in on AM or FM tuning efforts. The darn radio is virtually useless but to listen to static and hints of a weak distant sounding signal except for occasional lucky locations in city limits here and there. In more Remote, rural locations, just shut it off because it implies there are no stations left on the planet.
Thank goodness that the CD player performs well enough to break the radio silence.
Old 11-23-2013, 03:02 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by musicman190
Like many, my 2008 HHR has virtually no stations coming in on AM or FM tuning efforts. The darn radio is virtually useless but to listen to static and hints of a weak distant sounding signal except for occasional lucky locations in city limits here and there. In more Remote, rural locations, just shut it off because it implies there are no stations left on the planet.
Thank goodness that the CD player performs well enough to break the radio silence.
Read the fist several pages of this thread for help.

Quick Reply: Elusive Radio Reception Problem