Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Elusive Radio Reception Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 09:15 PM

Thanks Guys,

Its not the radio, as I have tried an Alpine(this one I just didn't like the sound of it), and obviously the stock radio, and now my Sony, now I just need a nice warm day to look behind the radio and the headliner again to see if I can find that "suppose'ed" amp/power wire.

And no, not a stubby, I have even tried a 4ft antenna just for the hell of it, still not good.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:32 AM

Ok, so I tore apart my dash again, I found the pink wire leading up to the base for the amp'ed antenna, hooked it up to the power antenna (+12v) and nothing....some stations it was actually worse.

The funny thing is the stereo converter box I have (that is build for the HHR) when everything is hooked up right, the power antenna or remote from that box DOES NOT get 12volts, It could be faulty but those dang boxes are 80 bucks!!! I used a multi meter on the coax so I know its good.

Id rather take my head liner (pain in rear) out again and just re-run the stupid coax, with NO amp, IDK why they did this, a freaking paper clip has better reception! No joke, Although now that I think about it the amp could be for the On Star transmission, not necessarily the reception.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by yellowjacket
Ok, Although now that I think about it the amp could be for the On Star transmission, not necessarily the reception.
The on Star antenna has nothing to do with the radio antenna, the On Star antenna is at the rear of the car.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:09 PM

Mine had Onstar and there is no antenna at the back
Old 01-20-2012, 06:03 PM

I used a multi meter on the coax so I know its good.
FYI checking a coax cable with a simple Ohm Meter says only that the cable is not open or shorted – not that the cable is any good. Technically, Coax needs to be checked at a frequency and the “resistance at frequency” is called impedance – not anything a standard multi meter can handle.

However, the GM FSM says the coax center conductor should be 5 ohms or less from end to end, likewise for the braded shield. With an infinite reading between the center conductor and the braid. Many multi meters are incapable of accurately measuring at this low of a resistance. I would trust no analog multi meter, only a good digital or DVM should be used.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:04 PM

Mine had Onstar and there is no antenna at the back
If there is no OnStar antenna in the rear of the vehicle roof, my bet is the previous owner added some sort of aftermarket unit. So you are not going to get much “good” help here as everybody is assuming a stock vehicle sound system. Sounds like its time for a professional audio shop.

You state that the vehicle did have OnStar, so do you not have any OnStar antenna on the vehicle? If not maybe the previous owner did not understand the needs and tapped into the vehicle radio antenna and that is why you are having such problems.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:25 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Sno White
If there is no OnStar antenna in the rear of the vehicle roof, my bet is the previous owner added some sort of aftermarket unit. So you are not going to get much “good” help here as everybody is assuming a stock vehicle sound system. Sounds like its time for a professional audio shop.

You state that the vehicle did have OnStar, so do you not have any OnStar antenna on the vehicle? If not maybe the previous owner did not understand the needs and tapped into the vehicle radio antenna and that is why you are having such problems.
x2.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:49 PM

Is a 2008 hhr stock antenna on roof need power ?

I installed a aftermarket radio and get no am and 2 fm stations. From what I have been reading if I have a powered antenna amp this could be my problem. Does any one know if it is and what the voltage would be. I see it may be the pink wire. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-12-2013, 01:09 PM

Yeah..several perps here had gone thru this..the ant is powered and when it fails only the closest stations will come thru..This is how GM got away with a shorty ant, by boosting the signal..you could either add your own amp before the head unit or fix the original..cant help you on the wire colors..
Old 10-12-2013, 10:03 PM

Smile voltage and wire

Thanks as I never hooked any power to the antenna so maybe that is my problem. Didn't know it was powered. If I knewthe voltage and find the wire it may solve my problem. On the radio it has a wire for antenna which I assume it is for the up and down operation. If it would take 12v I could use that if I find the wire. Thanks

Quick Reply: Elusive Radio Reception Problem