Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Engine Power Reduced - follow up question

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 04:49 PM

Engine Power Reduced - follow up question

First - I searched. I know what the issue is, and my question is a follow up to what I have found.
Background -
2006 2.2L LT1 with 47k on it. No issues to speak of except for the cheap rotors, which I replaced last summer.

So the search shows a VARIETY of issues - mine happens to be throwing codes of P2119 and P2101.
P2119 is Throttle Closed Position Performance
P2101 is Throttle Actuator Position Performance

the dealer "cleaned" the throttle body, which of course means he sprayed it with carb cleaner. 10 years ago, I wouldn't think a TB is a real big deal. Today, since everything is electronic and runs off a damn computer, I start to get a little iffy on anything related to the engine.

My question really is, in all of your history and wisdom with these cars, is this the beginning of future costly problems? Does this sort of issue start leading towards other repairs?
I ask because we were considering getting a different vehicle. I am a truck guy, and the HHR is my wifes, but I can honestly say this is the first CAR I have ever really loved. I like the look and the style lines, I like the inside space, I like the mileage...I just really love this car. I would actually go buy another....
I owe probably like $2200 on it, so I can surely get that out of it whether I sell it outright or trade it in, so I don't feel bad about getting rid of it. I am not one to turn tail and run at a problem, but my case is a little different because I work 45 miles away from my home and I have an 8 year old and a 1 year old, so my wife needs a 100% reliable vehicle. As I said, I haven't had a lick of trouble with this thing to speak of, but if I am starting the inevitable downward slide with this car, I would rather replace it now than have to worry about my wife driving it and getting stranded somewhere and/or costly repairs that are no longer covered since it is out of warranty.

just looking for some advice on the future of the HHR for those of you that have had experience with the engine power issue...
Old 02-09-2011, 05:05 PM

First thing I'd do, and you may have beat me to it, but I'd check the airbox if it's still the factory box, I had mine for about a week when it threw the same codes, when I tore it apart i found a huge chunk outta my box on the bottom and behind the filter, I was goin for a CAI anyway so it wasn't a big deal but I got it my TB cleaned up put my new intake on and cleared the codes and haven't seen 'em since. I can't say that any of it was legit, could have been no relation and I just got lucky in my fixin' and Findin but it's a suggestion anyhow.

B.O.L on the problem regardless
Old 02-09-2011, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by SD70M2
First thing I'd do, and you may have beat me to it, but I'd check the airbox if it's still the factory box, I had mine for about a week when it threw the same codes, when I tore it apart i found a huge chunk outta my box on the bottom and behind the filter, I was goin for a CAI anyway so it wasn't a big deal but I got it my TB cleaned up put my new intake on and cleared the codes and haven't seen 'em since. I can't say that any of it was legit, could have been no relation and I just got lucky in my fixin' and Findin but it's a suggestion anyhow.

B.O.L on the problem regardless
will do - something to look at.
Thanks!!