Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Engine Turnover and leaking fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 12:46 PM

Exclamation Engine Turnover and leaking fuel?

Hey all!
So I have two problems(though they may be completely related) With my 09 Chevy HHR LS 2.2 L. I got the car used so I can't be sure what was replaced prior to me owning it I have owned the car since 16'.
As of about 3 weeks now my car would take a few rounds before turning over(generally between 4 and 6 cycles is what it sounds like) around this time I also noticed an insanely strong gasoline smell whenever I stepped out of the car after driving.
During the turn over all the dashlights would come on and disapper except the check engine light but as soon as the car did start that too would disapper and the car would run as normal. There are no strange sounds coming from the engine druing driving. The car has the same problem when using auto start. After getting the car to turn over if I pull the key back to off and rengage it the car will start as normal.
So far we tried:
Adding STP Complete Fuel System cleaner to the gas(as this was noticed shortly after a refuel)
And replacing the battery

Neither of these have solved the problem at this point we have bought ignition coils and spark plugs and will be replacing those. Was also suggested it could be the Evaporative Purge Solenoid(valve) So that may be the next fix.

The other thing I have noticed is gas leaking out of a black tube along the bottom of the car(i assumed this may be the smell). After parking and immedtly exiting the car there is a leak that is coming from a black tube that runs the length of the bottom of my car. The spot it makes happens to be in front of my rear left tire(slightly to the right of it) The car leaks a lot immedtly after being put into park but over the course of the day it can be seen dripping. This only came to my attetion as I can fill up my car and within the same day with no driving(or less then 5 miles) lose almost 20 gallons in the tank.

If anyone has suggestions or solutions to these problems any help would be appreciated! I have to drive long distances daily for work both problems put me ill at ease.
Old 05-30-2018, 12:53 PM

Hi Loren, to the forums!!

Sounds like the fuel lines are leaking. This causes the long cranking times, until fuel can get back up to pressure.
Old 05-30-2018, 01:30 PM
Administrator

X2, the fuel leaks out the rusty fuel line and siphons out the rear of the tank.
There are fuel line kits out there
I just replaced my fuel lines with a 2 piece line kit.
Others have used the 8 piece kits, and reported it was much easier to get the lines installed.

Welcome to the site, and a question, why the ignition coils and spark plugs?
What mileage is showing on the odometer?
Old 05-30-2018, 01:32 PM

Did it cross your mind that gas fumes are highly flammable? Get it fixed quickly before you or someone else dies.
Old 05-30-2018, 03:36 PM
Platinum Member

Get the fuel leak fixed ASAP - as per the suggestions.

And forget the coils - they very seldom fail and will generate a check engine light if they have a problem. Take them back for a refund - otherwise you will likely be wasting your money.
Old 06-03-2018, 05:12 PM

Insure it well and park it away from anything you want!
Old 06-03-2018, 06:24 PM

Park it until fixed, you at worse case are driving a ready to ignite bomb, best case it just goes up in flames in a wide open area