Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Everyone who's living without a sunroof wind deflector

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 07:34 PM

Everyone who's living without a sunroof wind deflector

I've seen a dozen and a half posts about this. Very soon after I got the car 3 years ago, one of my brackets snapped. I found the post detailing how to remove the wind deflector and proceeded to do so. However, I noticed the slight sag on the front of the glass without the deflector propping it up to be flush with the roof.

​​​​For 2 and a half years, nothing bad happened. Then last January I got a flood on my passenger side. Quick fix, it was just a clogged drain tube. Then last month, same thing happened. Same issue. I drove by my local garage and asked his opinion on the matter, and he immediately jumped on the fact that the front of the glass sags. Now it's not like I'm operating with a visible gap on my roof. I know the sunroof is designed to let in water and deal with it. I'm possibly just allowing more than the intended load. But as long as the drain tubes remain clear, nothing should happen. ​​​​ But I'm rambling...

​​​​​My reason for this post is... To all of you who have removed that darn deflector and been living without it, OR have been using an external one, how has your experience been? Is there any detriment to working like this? Do external ones just collect water and make it gross?

I have a buddy​​​​​​ who wants to cut off the gasket around my glass and install "beefier" gasket to minimize water intake.. And I'm okay with that, but like is there even an issue?

Discuss! Tell your stories! All of these threads died out years ago, and I don't want to have to take off my headliner to remove the old brackets and reinstall the mesh deflector.
Old 06-12-2017, 08:02 PM
Administrator

Check out adjustments procedures in post #92

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...overage-11629/
Old 06-12-2017, 08:13 PM

I bought my hhr nearly four years ago and didn't know i was missing the wind deflector until your other post is, needless to say, I haven't had any issues. Been on the highway at 65 plus with the sunroof open without any issues either, so I don't think the headliner is going anywhere. However, I test drove a different hhr and it had the deflector which I thought was an option so I didn't think anything if it, and I liked it better then mine. I don't think the deflector is a necessity but is nice to have
Old 06-12-2017, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Check out adjustments procedures in post #92

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...overage-11629/
I'm gonna search for actual pictures or videos of this because I just can't visualize it.

EDIT​​​: I went out and figured it out! But my screwdriver is too large... Anyone know the size I need?

Last edited by Jpak88; 06-12-2017 at 08:49 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:12 AM

So I was reading more and more and found that someone determined the cause of the bracket breaking was that the adjustment screws were loose to begin with. I'm wondering if that actually caused the break for me. I also notice that I'm able to push my glass up to be flush with the roof but it doesn't stay.. I'm wondering if that means the screws are and always have been loose. I guess I'll find out tomorrow when I go to do the adjustment. I hope it keeps over time.