Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Front End Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 08:49 PM

and Camber...

https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...g&action=click
Old 01-01-2019, 07:49 AM
Administrator

But in OEM spec suspension, only the toe is adjustable.
I am aware of the aftermarket products and adjustment techniques.
Ive just never had to use them.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:14 AM

How many miles have you driven on the New Tires?
You might want to carefully run you hand/fingers back and forth over the front tire treads to see if there is any sign of unevenness or scuffing.
Did you examine your old tires for that issue?
It could at least provide a clue as to which side or both sides causing your steering problem.
It would seem to me that if it were the road contour you would have noticed it all along.
When did you first notice this issue and was it ever OK since you owned this HHR.
Maybe your issue is still mechanical??

I had a brand New set of Top end Coopers put on a while back and it pulled slightly. The dealer drove the car and agreed. They did everything they could think of to resolve the issue including rechecking alignment and switching tires front to rear, varied air pressures, etc.etc..
They never could resolve it.
I lived with it until Late fall and then put on a New complete set of Michelin XI3 Snow tires.
It tracked absolutely perfect immediately. I could not believe it after all the crap I went thru with the Coopers.

Front End shops and Techs vary in there equipment and there dedication to do it correctly.
Some shops are lazy about the calibration and maintenance/upkeep of there equipment .
Take it to a different shop this time but I would spend a little time checking out your new choice and have some discussions on the issue .
Some people just don't know how to be open minded and "Tweak". Especially if they are rushed.

Silverfox

Last edited by Silverfox; 01-01-2019 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01-01-2019, 11:35 AM
Technical Moderator

Could be a tire has a lb or 2 different pressure.
Old 01-01-2019, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Silverfox
How many miles have you driven on the New Tires? 4000
You might want to carefully run you hand/fingers back and forth over the front tire treads to see if the is any sign of unevenness or scuffing.
Did you examine your old tires for that issue? The front tires were smooth on the outside edge, replaced the LCA with new bushings and ball joints and took it for an alignment (April 2018). The problem persisted, took rear tires and put them on front, problem persisted, bought new tires (June 2018), problem is still here.
It could at least provide a clue as to which side or both sides causing your steering problem.
It would seem to me that if it were the road contour you would have noticed it all along.
When did you first notice this issue and was it ever OK since you owned this HHR. It was fine when I first bought the car (Jan 2016)
Maybe your issue is still mechanical?? The only thing that I have not taken a real close look at is the wheel bearings.

I had a brand New set of Top end Coopers put on a while back and it pulled slightly. The dealer drove the car and agreed. They did everything they could think of to resolve the issue including rechecking alignment and switching tires front to rear, varied air pressures, etc.etc..
They never could resolve it.
I lived with it until Late fall and then put on a New complete set of Michelin XI3 Snow tires.
It tracked absolutely perfect immediately. I could not believe it after all the crap I went thru with the Coopers.

Front End shops and Techs vary in there equipment and there dedication to do it correctly.
Some shops are lazy about the calibration and maintenance/upkeep of there equipment .
Take it to a different shop this time but I would spend a little time checking out your new choice and have some discussions on the issue .
Some people just don't know how to be open minded and "Tweak". Especially if they are rushed.

Silverfox
Thanks!
Old 01-01-2019, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Could be a tire has a lb or 2 different pressure.
Well it is at pepboys right now. I am so perturbed with this little issue that I paid for the lifetime alignment ($150). I hope you are not right, but it is definitely a possibility. I have been having problems with a tire holding air at speeds over 75mph, so all tires are a tad over inflated (38-40psi), I never thought about that being an issue. My mexican tire shop never could fix the tire. The wife talked me into taking it to her tire guy, they are from the Middle East, he could not find the leak either, so he changed the valve stem and the tire issue has been resolved, . I put it to the test this past weekend driving to Houston. I'll put all the tires back to 35psi as soon as I get it home. I did however order a cool digital air gauge/chuck (eBay $12) last week.

Old 01-01-2019, 02:54 PM
Administrator

My tire pressure sticker says 30 psi for my pressure, 215/55R16.
just for fun an hour ago, I checked my tire pressure, 30 psi, drove out one road, the crown produced a pull to the right.
in a different road , flatter, 6 lane highway, no pull either direction.
Old 01-01-2019, 02:58 PM
Technical Moderator

steel wheels rust on bead; alloy wheels leak through the alloy. Home country of technician makes no difference.
Old 01-01-2019, 03:02 PM
Administrator

Just got hot tanked, bead blasted, and powdercoated. No rust.

Last edited by Oldblue; 01-01-2019 at 05:29 PM.
Old 01-01-2019, 05:05 PM
Platinum Member

FYI. If you're running regular air in your tires, road friction and heat buildup will cause expansion and tire pressures to increase. I've seen mine increase from 32psi up to 37 after an hour or so of highway driving.
If you started cold at 38-40, you could be experiencing pressures of around 43-45.
But, if you're tires are nitrogen filled, then it shouldn't be a problem.

Quick Reply: Front End Alignment