Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Fuel Pump Noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 10:11 PM

Fuel Pump Noise

About 3 weeks ago I took my 2010 HHR to the dealer because the fuel pump sounded like a blender. They replaced it, but now this one sounds like the old one did. Makes no difference how full or empty the tank is. Anyone else have this problem, and how was it corrected?
Old 05-23-2011, 10:24 PM
Deceased

Well my first thought is that you may have received another bad pump, its not too likely, but it can happen. Another thought is that during the installation of the new pump they may have damaged it or bent a fuel line into contact with the underside of the vehicle...that can telegraph pump noise directly into the passenger compartment.

Since you dealer did the initial repair, and they should have some sort of labor warranty along with the warranty on the replacement pump, take it right on back to them and have them check it out.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:10 AM
geg

inspection of parts at the same time, directly adjacent to the pump.
If the new pump makes a noise like an old - maybe a problem somewhere nearby. Or weakened fasteners, or air bubbles.
Just a thought, but I'm not an expert.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by 843de
Well my first thought is that you may have received another bad pump, its not too likely, but it can happen. Another thought is that during the installation of the new pump they may have damaged it or bent a fuel line into contact with the underside of the vehicle...that can telegraph pump noise directly into the passenger compartment.

Since you dealer did the initial repair, and they should have some sort of labor warranty along with the warranty on the replacement pump, take it right on back to them and have them check it out.
Took it back this afternoon. The service writer I deal with wasn't there. Another one listened to the noise and said if I fill the tank up the noise will go away, as the gas acts as insulation. I had him look as the gas gauge, as I had just filled up 2 miles down the road. He didn't have an answer. I'll wait for my guy to get back from vacation and see what happens.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:21 PM
Deceased

Some service writers are just amazing in their utter lack of knowledge, then you have some like the person you dealt with...suitable only for sweeping the shop floor at closing time.

Sorry to hear you got a run around, keep us posted on what they eventually find after your contact gets back from vacation.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:29 PM

Do you hear the priming sound through the fuel filler neck with the cap off? Maybe the fuel filter element became dislodged. In my 2010 LS, I can BARELY if at all hear the pump priming. Sounding like a blender is pretty unmistakable. I would have someone prime it and listen along the fuel route. Maybe the tank was struck and the sending unit is contacting the body transmitting noise.

Who knows. Go to another dealership for a second opinion. You have the warranty, right?
Old 05-24-2011, 03:22 PM

The fuel pumps in the HHR's, at least mine, is far from silent, but it certainly doesn't sound like a blender, and the sound is no different when the tank is full, or low on fuel. Frankly its really not audible when inside the car and its running. I really only hear it when it primes just before starting the car, certainly not objectionable.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:45 PM

Whats the chance the mechanic.....somehow......got confused...(imagine that!) and reinstalled the original pump back in by mistake?
Old 05-25-2011, 03:10 AM
geg

Originally Posted by IgottaWoody
Whats the chance the mechanic.....somehow......got confused...(imagine that!) and reinstalled the original pump back in by mistake?
or malice
Old 05-25-2011, 10:45 AM

Did they actually verify that the fuel pump was the problem? Does it make noise just turning the key to the ON position? Was it put on a lift to check the area for rattling or loose parts? There are exhaust sheilds in that area that would be a more likely cause.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Noise