Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Glove Box Sticks

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 10:47 AM

Glove Box Sticks

Hey Y'all, I've got a problem with my glove box. I noticed yesterday that I could barely get my glove box open. I don't open it very often, I keep my HHR book and my insurance papers in there but rarely have to go in after them. Yesterday I wanted to grab my insurance papers and my glove box door opened about an inch or so and then it got caught on something. It was almost impossible to pull it open.

I think that the door might have come out of alignment and the latch is catching.

Anyone else have a sticky situation like this?
Old 04-13-2007, 11:00 AM

Not with the "real" glove box, but the one on top of the dash has given me numerous hard times.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:05 PM

I had two problems with my glove box
1. yes if you put a few things in there they would jam up the interior and make it hard to open
2. if i tried to open it from the drivers position sometimes the latch would pull out of its mount; it will not fit back unless you use a small screwdriver to pick the latch open , open the glovebox, and use the screwdriver to hold the locking mechanism open while pushing the latch back into its mount..
Old 04-13-2007, 12:11 PM

Yup, the dash glove box, I have to hit the button a time or two and then tap/hit right in front of it, and then pops opens.

Kind of like Fonzie would do!!!! Heyyyyy!!!

Something like that.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:18 PM
Platinum Member

Calgary.....

Have not had the problem and I use the box at least 2-3 times a week.

Not sure what you are specifically speaking of. Is the door "catching" on something inside the box? Is it catching on something inside/behind the dash?

If it's behind the dash.......

Once you get it open, there is a flexible "arm" on each side that allows the box to drop down for access to the compartment air filter. Empty the box of contents and push the clips to allow the box to open all the way (it will still be supported by the hinge). That will allow you to view the area around, and under, the dash to see what may be preventing it from opening properly.

If it just getting stuck because of improper latch positioning, it can easily be adjusted, I believe.

Good luck

Last edited by Snoopy; 04-13-2007 at 03:07 PM.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:27 PM

The first HHR I rented last week had a issue with the dash "box"..would not open unless you pressed the button in and "grabbed" it and pulled up

Goose
Old 04-14-2007, 05:02 PM

So here's what seems to be the problem. I think the glove box door has sagged down a little over the year and half or so that I've had it. Now, when the door is opened the latch rubs the top of the notched out area where the latch goes into. Hopefully, that provides a good enough description on the problem. Now, I have to get a service department to look at it and hopefully adjust the door.
Old 04-14-2007, 05:32 PM

There is no adjustment to the door. I would look to see if the door is on the pivets on the bottom. the door/clove box just snaps on to a pivet at the bottom. Like snoopy said push in on the two tabs on each side and door/box will open all the way down
the two tabs are what stops the door from falling when opened