Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Headlight issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 01:18 PM
Deceased

to the forum bspears!

I see from your profile that you have an '07 HHR, when you use the key fob to unlock the vehicle those are the high beams that flash, so you do have an issue with the low beam on the driver's side.

Two things spring to mind here, first go to your underhood fuse box and pull the fuse in position #65, that's the driver's side low beam. If the fuse is blown or loose that can be your problem right there, if the fuse is OK just replace it in the fuse box and try your low beams. Fuses in the HHR have a habit of loosening up over time, while you have the box open, press on each fuse and relay to make sure they are fully seated.

If that hasn't cured the issue, you have a blown low beam filament in that bulb. You might have a brand of bulbs known for early failures like Silverstars from Sylvania, or the bulb itself may have been installed with contamination on the glass capsule. When you install a new bulb, carefully clean the capsule with an alcohol wipe before inserting it into the headlamp housing. At the temperatures these bulbs see in normal operation, any contamination can lead to a premature failure.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by 843de
:
or the bulb itself may have been installed with contamination on the glass capsule. When you install a new bulb, carefully clean the capsule with an alcohol wipe before inserting it into the headlamp housing. At the temperatures these bulbs see in normal operation, any contamination can lead to a premature failure.
And Exploded bulbs! (referring to an earlier post in this thread) Whoever installed the bulb may not have taken "oil" precautions, even skin oil is really bad.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:24 AM

I just finished changing mine. Mine was a burnt out filament on low beam. Watched a great vidio on youtube showing doing it without removing the wheel. I am a 62 Yr Old grandma, and it took all of 1/2 hr to change both. Hardest part for me was pulling out those plastic grommets on the bottom of the fender skirt (don't have the streingth anymore)
Old 10-28-2012, 01:23 PM

The high beams only flash if its night, or dark, or maybe if the auto headlights are turned off?
On my 07 2lt, only the yellow turn signals flash during the day, and at night, the headlights come on and stay on, until you get in and put the key in the ignition.
Maybe that's a Canada thing.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:29 AM

My problem is that the new replacement bulbs for a 2006 HHR don't fit into the headlight assembly. The prongs that allow the bulb to be able to be tightened are too large and won't seat into the housing. Has anyone encountered this problem. I need a bulb that fits because my low beam burned out. Thanks.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:36 AM
Premium Member

did you try another company for lights? maybe the plug was put on wrong or mislabeled?
Old 02-10-2013, 01:36 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by dseago
My problem is that the new replacement bulbs for a 2006 HHR don't fit into the headlight assembly. The prongs that allow the bulb to be able to be tightened are too large and won't seat into the housing. Has anyone encountered this problem. I need a bulb that fits because my low beam burned out. Thanks.
Did you assure the sealing gasket was removed from the old bulb. Many have attempted to change bulbs and encountered a problem with a bulb NOT fitting.....later discovering they failed to remove the old gasket. Notice that the new bulb comes with the new gasket....maybe an eighth inch thick.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Did you assure the sealing gasket was removed from the old bulb. Many have attempted to change bulbs and encountered a problem with a bulb NOT fitting.....later discovering they failed to remove the old gasket. Notice that the new bulb comes with the new gasket....maybe an eighth inch thick.
You stole my comment again! Plus the ears are differen tsizes, you have to get the big one into the big hole etc.